Job offersmore »
- Commercieel Logistiek/Inkoop medewerker - Aalsmeer, NL
- Manager/Director R&D Operations - Japan
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Sales Manager - Europe
- Distribution Manager - Fort Worth DC, TX USA
- Greenhouse supervisor - Lisianthus propagator
- Technical Sales Representative - Canada
- Export Project Manager - Bergschenhoek
- Senior Technical Manager – United Kingdom
- In-House Horticultural Consultant - Lodi, OH
Last commentsmore »
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
British florists suffer from Brexit consequences
British florists are in trouble and have in some cases even been brought to their knees. Since Brexit flowers have become more expensive and, in addition, the pound has lost some value in relation to the euro.
NOS spoke with two florists in the country and asked them about their findings. The one who runs a flower stall in the provincial town of Northampton, says that he can barely keep his head above water. "Prices aren’t as high as just after the elections, but I think that they’re 15% higher on average." She indicates her willingness to keep at it for another year, but if the situation does not improve, she will (have to) stop.
Another florist, Damian Duffy, who runs a flower shop in Watford, is more optimistic. He was and is in favor of Brexit and, even though he also cannot escape the price increases, he is confident that there will be a recovery. "The Netherlands and the rest of the EU aren’t irreplaceable" and if the old balance in the market is not restored, "I'm going to focus on other purchase markets in the longer term. For example, I know that South America, South Africa, India and China also produce beautiful flowers."
Click here to read the complete article on the NOS website (In Dutch)
Publication date: 1/4/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.