Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (719)
- Development of the export oriented cut flower rose industry in Africa (4)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (4)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (2)
- NL: Vreugdenhil Young Plants launches new concept Pick & Joy (1)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (1)
- Take a look inside the greenhouse of a Dutch succulent grower (3)
- Meet Greenlife in the Netherlands (1)
- In search of a transportation proof Poinsettia (1)
- A flower shop dedicated to roses only (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Canada: CosMic Plants expands orchid productionCosMic Plants is expanding its orchid production. In June 2016 owners and brothers Mike and Neil Van Steekelenburg acquired an existing, modern 240,000 square feet greenhouse in their hometown Beamsville. Now, about half of the greenhouse is filled up with Phalaenopsis orchids and the other half is already prepared for orchid production, but will initially be rented out.
CosMic Plantsí new 4665 Bartlett Rd location
From gerbera's to orchids
The greenhouse is just 5 minutes from CosMic Plantsí first Maple Grove Rd location and was used for the production of cut Gerberas. Mike and Neil Van Steekelenburg, however, saw the potential it had for their business: the production and wholesale of quality Phalaenopsis Orchids. "The location, general layout and its large warehouse were some deciding factors in making the step to take over this facility and transform it to an energy-efficient and environmentally friendly, orchid production greenhouse" says Mike.
Timelapse: From gerbera's to orchids in 4 minutes
Mike and Neil were well acquainted with the former owners who were looking for a lifestyle change. And the months of planning and preparing paid off in a very efficient retrofit time. "On May 28 the last Gerberas were cut and processed and on November 15, the first Orchid plants moved in."
Installing the internal logistics systems
Now, January 2017, CosMic Plants have filled up about 80% of the first phase, 120,000 square feet, and the second phase of another 120,000 square feet is also already prepared for Orchid production, but will initially be rented out. They plan to grow their production with their market; the higher-end retailers in the North East part of the continent.
Orchids filling up the new greenhouse space
"2016 sure was a hectic year for us", says Mike. "But our team was ready for this step and thanks to our staff, Neil and I could focus on this project, while the daily production tasks, sales and logistics from our Maple Grove Rd location just kept ongoing". "We do look forward to getting back into some rhythms again! 2017 is going to be exciting!", adds Neil.
Daily inventory of finished product, ready for packing and distribution
CosMic Plants is exhibiting their Orchid products and concepts at the TPIE (Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition) at the Broward County Convention Center in Fort Lauderdale, from January 18 to 20.
CosMic Plants tradeshow presence.
For more information
CosMic Plants Inc.
4228 Maple Grove Road
Beamsville, Ontario L0R 1B1
T: +1 905 562 9389
F: +1905 562 9390
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.