Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (454)
- Veiling Rhein-Maas expands Premium Quality label to lilies (4)
- In 2016 we visited 26 trade shows and shot 5,054 pictures! (1)
- Kenyan rose production falls short of international demand (2)
- China gets slap on the wrist for illegal copying Dutch varieties (1)
- US: Growers respond to GM petunia news (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
- US (FL): Bromeliad expert about hybridyzing bromeliads (1)
- India: "High potential for orchid cultivation in Odisha" (1)
- "Fight against thrips is not only won above ground" (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Brazil: Despite crisis, opportunities for growth
- How the bumblebee coincidentally saved the greenhouse industry
- US (CA): Monterey County helps former flower growers switch to marijuana
- NL: Cut flower prices under pressure by warm weather and French holiday
- Chrysanthemum blooming test of Royal van Zanten Colombia
Top 5 - last week
- Wabara expands into new markets with exclusive partnerships
- US (IL): Sunshine delphinium named in honor of John Simko
- Father and sons team harvests sunflowers for British Flowers Week
- Germany: VB Group builds 'Elite' greenhouse for Dümmen Orange
- Wildfire transitions to full hydroponic rose cultivation
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Torben Moth Madsen, Rosa Danica:
"40% more scented pot roses this Mother's Day""It's that time of the year again that the demand surpasses the supply", says Danish pot rose grower Torben Moth Madsen of Rosa Danica. In the run up to Mother's Day, celebrated on May 14, the demand for their pot roses is high and the demand for the scented ones increased. "It is the second year that they are producing the scented potted roses for Mother's Day and this year we increased the production by 40 percent."
Torben Moth Madsen in the greenhouse of Rosa Danica. (Photo made by Gartnertidende)
This year, Rosa Danica's 14 ha greenhouse is completely filled with potted roses (10ha) and campanulas (4ha) and they are almost sold out. "We adjust the production to the orders we receive. Usually, we still have some room left in the greenhouse, but this year, it is fully loaded with plants. We received a lot of orders from the European countries that celebrate Mother's day on May 12", says Madsen.
Rosa Danica put the first scented pot roses, called RosAroma, on the market in 2015. These roses are bred by German rose breeder Kordes Roses and are exclusively grown by Rosa Danica. Since the introduction, the demand increased sharply. And this year, the demand for these scented roses for Mother's Day are higher too. "We received more orders so we increased the production by 40 percent."
And regarding the production, Madsen is pleased with the quality of both, the scented and the regular roses. "We have had a perfect spring for potted roses, not too cold and not too hot", he says.
Scented roses of Rosa Danica.
Unlike the UK, many other European countries do not have a color preference. "In the UK, where Mother's Day is held on the fourth Sunday of Lent, they only demand pink colored roses. In other European countries, where Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May, the color does not seem to be that important. All colors are in high demand."
Busy week ahead
Now, Madsen is waiting for the roses to start flowering as the first Mother's Day plants will be shipped out next week. The week after, the majority of the plants will be shipped out. "It will be one of the busiest weeks of the year."
For more information
Torben Moth Madsen
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.