Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (719)
- Development of the export oriented cut flower rose industry in Africa (4)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (4)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (2)
- NL: Vreugdenhil Young Plants launches new concept Pick & Joy (1)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (1)
- Take a look inside the greenhouse of a Dutch succulent grower (3)
- Meet Greenlife in the Netherlands (1)
- In search of a transportation proof Poinsettia (1)
- A flower shop dedicated to roses only (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
CAN (ON): Major tree seed distributor to be shut downA major seed distribution plant in Angus is being shut down by the provincial government.
The Angus Seed Plant once provided all of the seeds used in reforestation efforts across the province. It currently operates at 20 per cent capacity.
But come next year, Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry plans to shut it down.
“We are going to be moving out of an industrial size plant to a native tree seed genetic archive,” says Ken Durst, regional services manager for the MNRF. “That’s going to be focused on biodiversity and climate change science.”
The tree seed plant has been in operation since 1923. Seeds are extracted, sorted, tested and stored in freezers.
The province is looking to the private sector to do this work in the future. But the nurseries that grow the trees say the seed plant is hard to replace.
Read more at CTV (Roger Klein)
Publication date: 8/31/2017
Other news in this sector:
|1/18/2016||First contract for European ‘Malus Royal Raindrops’ signed|
|7/15/2015||Netherlands: Edenparks to build Jardin Royale in Baarn|
|7/6/2015||Analysis of a Chlorophyll synthase mutant in Acer|
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.