- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Belgium: Soil passport as new tool to more sustainable management of agricultural parcels
- Belgium is the Partner Country of IPM Essen 2019
- Canadian Plant Health Council launched
- US: Early sales 2020 new varieties available now from PanAmerican Seed
- China to build Dutch-inspired high-tech agriculture park
UK: Looking after your biomass boiler
The event took place at Roundstone Nursery in Chichester on 23 November. With Jon Swain, Energy Consultant from FEC Energy, starting off by explaining the recent reforms to the RHI scheme and how this should mean new systems installed today are more appropriately sized. Jon also talked about the importance of compliance with Ofgem’s regulations, to ensure installations remain eligible for RHI. One aspect of compliance is using appropriate fuels, i.e. one that is listed on all the relevant documentation associated with the boiler, not just the one that is listed on a boiler’s emissions certificate.
During the event, Matt Baxter, Technical Director at Core Biomass, offered advice on how to ensure boilers are set up for best performance. He highlighted some of the known problems with different fuel types, driving home the fact that each type of boiler will be optimised for a certain type and quality of fuel. Burning low quality, contaminated fuel in a boiler not designed for it can easily lead to problems, increased maintenance and, unscheduled downtime.
Rob Waterhouse, who hosted the event, is responsible for Roundstone’s 1MW biomass boiler. He spoke of how quickly he had to learn over the past year, since the system became operational, as biomass was completely new to him.
Despite a few teething problems early on, Roundstone’s system now runs smoothly, as Rob ensures the woodchip supplied is suitable for both the boiler and the automated fuel delivery feed. Suitability can be viewed in terms of size, quality and, importantly, moisture content.
Ultimately, the aim of a biomass boiler is to provide heat, often to a glasshouse. How the two components integrate was covered by David Summerfield of Bridge Greenhouses. He stressed the importance of buffer tanks and heat stores, and how these should be used effectively. One of the take-home messages was that more heat storage capacity can be added if required. This is now the case at Roundstone Nursery, but space remains a challenge. Despite this, a bigger heat store would allow more efficient operation of the boiler, especially when demand is low on milder days.
GrowSave has two more events coming up soon and you can find out more about these here.
For more information:
024 7669 6512
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/22/2018 Kenya: Flower farm fleet goes green with electric cars
- 10/16/2018 US: Incentives aid greenhouses and nurseries in implementing energy efficiency practices
- 10/15/2018 Energy use in Danish greenhouses down 50% over 15 years
- 10/01/2018 CAN (ON): "Avoid having biomass sent to landfill"
- 10/01/2018 "Energy industry is forever evolving"
- 09/25/2018 Indoor farming: an opportunity for geothermal?
- 09/18/2018 "Ethiopia needs to build institutional capacity to tap geothermal resources"
- 07/19/2018 US (MA): Vegetable oil heats homes and greenhouses
- 07/19/2018 Energy-generating glass saves water, boosts yields
- 07/19/2018 MacAulay concludes first part of 'Growing Canadian Agriculture' Tour
- 07/10/2018 NL: Sustainability aspects of woody biomass in greenhouse horticulture
- 07/10/2018 China: Scientists develop power-generating windows
- 07/09/2018 Dutch grower achieves energy savings after switching to DC
- 06/25/2018 New CHP product: 5% increase in electrical efficiency
- 06/22/2018 "Interplant Roses prioritises sustainability"
- 06/21/2018 Kenya: $125 million for geothermal, wind and solar resources
- 06/18/2018 How CHP could reduce your electricity costs
- 06/11/2018 Kenya: $29.5 million loan for Nakuru geothermal project
- 05/31/2018 Netherlands: Fachjan installs 270 solar panels on roof
- 05/29/2018 UK: £1.4m grant for geothermal power source at Eden Project