- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Australia: Opportunity to comment on national tree standard revision (1)
- Schroll is developing the hydrangea production in Portugal (3)
- US: AFE educational grant applications due June 1 (2)
- "Plenty of opportunities to expand markets outside Russia's major cities" (1)
- Coloured by Gerbera presents new assortment (1)
- "Customers are looking for different shades of red roses" (1)
- US: Is the era of thermal transfer printers over? (2)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (46)
- Southern hemisphere's largest solar water heating facility at LVG Plants (1)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (1)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Selecta One at the IPM Hortiflorexpo Beijing
25 percent growth for Chinese cut flower market
Jordi Caballeria general manager for Selecta cut flower with area managers Richard Buis, Shinya Ogata and Andre Lek.
Chinese Carnation market
Before talking about the varieties that Selecta is showcasing at the HortiflorExpo, a bit more information about the Chinese carnation market. The majority of the carnations are produced in the main crop area Kunming (Yunnan province), a mountainous area in the south of China at an altitude of around 1,900 to 2,000 meters. The surface of carnation cultivation in China is estimated at 1,800 ha, of which 1,450 ha is in the Kunming area, explains Buis.
Up to 85 percent of the carnation market consists of standard carnations and red is the most important color. "44 percent is red, followed by cherry (16%), bicolor (13%), pink (11%), green (7%) and purple (4%). White is not a key color as it is closely related to funerals." Spray carnations make up 15 percent of the total carnation market with pink as key color. 25 percent is pink, followed by red (15%), cherry or cherry/white (15%), yellow/red or cherry (10%) and other double colors (5%)."
Over the years, these varieties are more and more purchased from recognized companies. "Each year, the Chinese plant some 190 to 200 million plants, of which around 160 to 170 million are purchased from recognized companies. The rest are produced without any control over growers, but the figure of this ‘illegal’ production is getting lower thanks to the quality of cuttings from ‘legal’ production together with their contained prices. In the past, these figures were the complete opposite."
Selecta at the Hortiflorexpo Beijing
From May 10 till May 12, Selecta One is introducing carefully selected varieties to the growers at the IPM Hortiflorexpo Beijing (Hall W1 stand A61). "We are not only planning to earn market share by offering new carnation varieties, but we are also opening up new business opportunities and focusing our efforts in the introduction of more profitable and unexplored product lines", says Buis. "We have deeply analyzed the contexts of this growing markets and carefully selected the ideal varieties that fulfill the needs of the market", adds Jordi Caballeria, Selecta Cut Flowers General Manager.
According to Buis, their Pearls collection (gypsophila) and Kiwi collection (Dianthus Barbatus) are new and unknown among the Chinese growers and are therefore put in the center of attention at their booth at the IPM.
"The Gypsophila Ginga-way in the Pearls collection is our main highlight", says Caballeria. "It's rich inflorescence of fully round, pure white large, flowers concentrated as a multitude on the top creating a snow effect. "Ginga Way, is already known in many other markets for it's efficiency and proven superior vase life; showing resilience during shipping and making it a great option for tinting process."
Also on display new Kiwi Mellow, Barbatus, which does not have petals, but distinctive green hairs, and stands out due to its color, shape, texture, stem development and height. "As a main plus its genetics, diversification and processing offer a wide range of options in just one product."
Clockwise: Belle, Creola, Hurricane, Viper and Viper Wine
But more is on display, like their wide colorful carnation assortment with varieties like Creola, Viper, Viper Wine, Hurricane and Belle Epoque. Also Union and Magik from their Chrysanthemums program will exhibit, along with its pot carnation Pink Kisses and headliner series Petunia NightSky and Baby Doll.
More than products alone
And Selecta One finds it important to go beyond offering a product. "We understand the importance of service and support. We are introducing ourselves in a growing market with know-how and different information that will enrich the whole process; bringing the best result possible", says Caballeria.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/18/2018 HBA opens test locations in Kenya and Colombia for cut flower hydrangea
- 10/18/2018 Super Purple Sinuatum Limonium wins golden medal
- 10/17/2018 Colombian carnation breeder spreads wings in Kenya
- 10/15/2018 Danziger & ToolGen sign MOU for joint research and commercialization
- 10/12/2018 Testing brought to new heights to better match farm conditions
- 10/09/2018 An insight in the selection and propagation of roses in Ecuador
- 10/08/2018 "Mendel was actually looking for innovative crops"
- 10/05/2018 UK: A year in the life of Coreopsis Walberton’s Flying Saucers
- 10/05/2018 Ecuador: "They really got the potential out of the variety"
- 10/04/2018 “Scented garden cut roses: an opportunity for Russian growers”
- 10/02/2018 Indonesia: Researchers find 160 orchid species in Bengkulu
- 09/27/2018 "FleuroStar brings breeders and retail closer together"
- 09/25/2018 How do plant cells know in which direction to divide?
- 09/20/2018 Newly discovered enzyme is 'firing pin' for plant immunity
- 09/19/2018 Cannova lauded in Europe
- 09/18/2018 Bamboo and rattan genomes sequenced
- 09/17/2018 Gold Medal for ’King of Infinity’ in Moscow
- 09/14/2018 An exploration game about breeding plants
- 09/13/2018 Changes abound in Dekker varieties supply
- 09/07/2018 UK: Garvinea Sweet Sunset scoops award at Four Oaks Trade Show