Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Last commentsmore »
- Email Marketing for Professional Greenhouse Growers (1)
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (1225)
- "Plum Power forever" (19)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (240)
- "During the placement of outdoor screens we've had all types of weather conditions" (1)
- Kenya: Rimi Flora to triple in size (2)
- India: HollandDoor launches new three-year horticultural programme (1)
- Video: Floral Fantasia garden creation time-lapse (1)
- Dümmen Orange and Koppert introduce IPM protocol (1)
- "Compact size is not enough; plants need to make a statement" (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ornamental breeding industry gathers in BarcelonaDuring the 49th Fleuroselect Convention, a group of international pot and bedding plant breeders, young plant producers and distributors met in Barcelona. Over 100 participants from 14 countries made the journey to the Catalonian capital to discover the local ornamental market and to network with colleagues and friends.
Grup RoigHost of the event was Grup Roig, Spain’s biggest independent young plant producer. A family company in its third generation, Grup Roig now mainly acts as a rooting station for the Spanish growers. In addition, the company has a strategic cooperation agreement with the German breeder Selecta One and a sales agreement with the Spanish distributor Viveros Pereira and French distributor Graines Voltz. Especially for the Fleuroselect Convention, Marc Roig, Ignasi Calvo and team laid out a magnificent container trial field to show their commercial assortment to the Fleuroselect delegates. The complete current Fleuroselect trial comparing brand new, not yet introduced breeding achievements to existing varieties in the market had also been planted out together with over 20 Fleuroselect Gold Medal winners. Finally, the entire group was treated to a delicious home-cooked paella prepared by Joan Roig, father of the current owner Marc.
The programme also included a visit to the Plantinova trials. Lluis Masvidal, General Manager of Plantinova presenting the company’s skills as a licensing office and trial station for the Mediterranean area.
Ignasi Calvo, Commercial Director of Grup Roig, provided detailed insights into Spanish consumer habits. Due to challenging economic conditions such as high unemployment rates and low salaries on the one hand, and living conditions in apartment blocks with limited outside space on the other hand, the Spanish market for flowers and plants is rather limited. Spain counts 2086 nurseries with a total production area of 6,664 ha. and a total production value of EUR 770,000,000. Specialised garden centres are few and sales are flat, plants mostly being bought at supermarkets or in the green corners of the DIY chains.
Grup Roig showed the group some typical gardens and green spaces surrounding the city centre. The gardens of the Albeniz Palace, the Catalonian residence of the Spanish royal family, are a lush oasis of tranquillity where greenery and colourful flowers happily alternate. The Montjuïc Palace and its green surroundings offer a spectacular view on the city. The group also visited the Centre Modernista Sant Pau, Barcelona’s main hospital until 2009. Built in magnificent Catalonian Art Nouveau style, this open space with solitary buildings surrounded by peaceful greenery stood out for its use of nature in the splendid interior decorations to stimulate the wellbeing of the patients.
Publication date: 7/9/2018
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.