Job offersmore »
- Global Segment Marketing Manager Vegetables
- Agronomist or Agricultural Engineer in Luxembourg or Georgia
- Nursery Project Coordinator Luxembourg
- Sales and Customer Support - New Zealand
- General Manager - Ontario
- SALES MANAGER - France
- KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Fresh Cut) – France
- Marketing Manager - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Key Account Manager Horticulture LED - Netherlands
- European Sales Manager – Based London or Europe
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (406)
- Kenya: Senate probes working conditions on flower farms (1)
- Weight, drain and real time plant activity analysis become grower's sixth sense (1)
- Terra Nova offers sneak peek of 'peacock tail' begonia (1)
- Romania: Flower demand up for Valentine’s Day, Dragobete (1)
- Florists wanted for British Flowers Week photoshoot (1)
- Roses Forever's new spray rose remembers John Williams (1)
- Second edition Flower Expo Poland now open for registration (1)
- Ethiopia: "Employees are our most valuable assets" (1)
- Taiwan: Taichung to host flora expo in 2018 (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Ellen Frost recognized at cut flower conferenceAt the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers’ (ASCFG) 2016 National Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Ellen Frost of Local Color Flowers in Baltimore, Maryland was presented the Allan M. Armitage Leadership Award.
The Armitage Leadership Award is given to those in the floral industry who consistently strive to foster the goals of ASCFG, and the specialty cut flower industry.
Ellen is recognized as one of the country’s first florists to use and promote exclusively locally-grown floral product: all flowers used in her designs are grown within 100 miles of her studio. Ellen’s philosophy is to be as gentle to the earth as possible: all discarded material is composted, containers used in designs are often upcycled and reused, she swore off using floral foam years ago, and her shop uses wind power as an energy source.
Working with dozens of regional growers, Local Color Flowers is able to produce award-winning wedding and event designs year-round, even in the off season when imported flowers are often used.
Ellen actively supports other small, locally-owned businesses in her Baltimore neighborhood, contributing to their success, and improving the lives of local residents. Many designers working at Ellen’s shop have been there for years, reflecting Ellen’s ability to maintain a business that works for everyone involved, not only the owner, but the workers, farmers, neighbors, and community at large.
Ellen is also admired for encouraging, mentoring, and supporting young or beginning flower growers, by helping them establish their farms, offering production and marketing advice, and purchasing their cut flowers on continuing basis. Many flower farmers in the Mid-Atlantic owe her a great debt of gratitude for her long-term commitment to their success.
For more information:
Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers
Publication date: 12/12/2016
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.