Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- India: Government gives 50% subsidy on a poly house (719)
- Development of the export oriented cut flower rose industry in Africa (4)
- Photoreport: Horticontact (4)
- "Horticulture in Iran can be an alternative to petroleum" (2)
- NL: Vreugdenhil Young Plants launches new concept Pick & Joy (1)
- Will sea freight be an alternative to Latin American air freight? (1)
- Take a look inside the greenhouse of a Dutch succulent grower (3)
- Meet Greenlife in the Netherlands (1)
- In search of a transportation proof Poinsettia (1)
- A flower shop dedicated to roses only (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
May 23-27, London
UK: Plant Heritage Collections celebrated at Chelsea Flower ShowSeveral exhibitors at this year’s RHS Chelsea Flower Show will be specifically focusing on celebrating their Plant Heritage National Collections in their displays, on 23-27 May 2017.
One such exhibitor is Fibrex Nurseries, based at Pebworth near Evesham, who is celebrating the 30th anniversary of holding its Plant Heritage National Collection of Pelargonium. In light of this milestone, owner Heather Godard-Key is planning an extra special display this year. The family-run nursery will have a free-standing display featuring pelargoniums in a tiered arrangement, aptly resembling a celebration cake. Heather is famous for her delicious Pelargonium cake, although this particular cake will be off-limits for eating.
The nursery will launch four new varieties of Pelargonium at this year’s show, one of which is P. ‘Rushmoor Amazon’, a break-through variety with large yellow blooms, which falls into a new category of ‘Zonartic’ Pelargonium.
Bowden Hostas will tell a wonderful story about their National Plant Collection of Hosta ‘Halcyon’ & sports, including a tale of the extraordinary and eccentric breeder Eric Smith, who developed the ‘Tardiana’ group of hostas.
Continuing the ‘yellow theme’, Terry Baker, of the Botanic Nursery and Collection Holder of Digitalis, will be launching a yellow foxglove perfectly named D. ‘Limoncello’ as well as his monograph on the genus. Hot on the heels of Chelsea, is Foxglove Week, 1-4 June, when Terry will be giving daily tours and talks at the nursery.
Other new plants being launched at the show include: from Gold medal winning nursery Plantagogo, Heuchera 'Sweet Caroline’ TM (Fox Series). Very attractive to bees, ‘Sweet Caroline’ has tall, long lasting, salmon pink flowers in spring and summer, surrounded by striking lemon and lime foliage. Also being launched is Tiarella 'Raspberry Sundae' TM (Fox Series), which has star-like foliage and beautiful bee-friendly blooms on dark stems, deep raspberry-pink buds opening to pale white-pink stars. Both plants will be for sale in 1 litre pots from www.plantagogo.com for £7.50 each plus P&P.
Fibrex aren’t the only ones celebrating an anniversary this year, Plant Heritage is also gearing up to run the busy cloakroom for its tenth year, with its team of 100 volunteers from the charity’s membership groups based around the UK.
The cloakroom offers a safe haven not just for coats and heavy luggage, but items ranging in size and shape from metal sculptures, wedding outfits and golf clubs, to picnic baskets, even Brompton bikes. Donations from the cloakroom contribute to the charity’s plant conservation work. Plant Heritage works with its members to safeguard the rich diversity of cultivated plants across the UK, through different projects such as the Plant Guardian Scheme, National Plant Collection scheme and Threatened Plants research.
For more information:
12 Home Farm,
Publication date: 5/19/2017
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.