In the Netherlands, research conducted by RIKILT has found that there are a number of genetically modified orange petunia varieties available. This study was commissioned by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate.
In Europe, it is forbidden to grow and market genetically modified varieties unless permission to do so has been granted. The petunia varieties that have been identified so far as carrying the genetically modified orange gene are:
- Viva Orange VBN product code 118676
- Viva Fire VBN product code 110932
- Potunia Plus Papaya VBN product code 113269
- Pegasus orange
- Pegasus Table Orange
- Pegasus Orange morn
- Bingo Mandarin
- Bingo Orange
- Go!Tunia Orange
- Salmon Ray
- Viva orange vein
- African Sunset
- Sanguna Salmon
- The VBN product codes of the products in question can no longer be used.
- They urgently ask suppliers of the listed varieties not to supply them, in whatever sales channel, so as not to cause trouble for chain partners.
- They shall contact growers supplying genetically modified petunia varieties to one of the Royal FloraHolland locations, and ask them to remove the supplied product and stop supplying it.
- Extra inspections will be conducted in the supply processes to search for products of the genetically modified varieties.