- Import-Export senior Sales Agents to Europe - Barcelona, Spain
- Teamleader Agronomist Vertical Farm - Poeldijk, The Netherlands
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- QA Officer Retail - Maasdijk
- Manager Seed Technology - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Sales Director Required - Leading FMCG/Fresh Food Business
- Chief Executive Officer - FMCG/Fresh Foods
- Junior Product Manager - Brassica
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Alan Lu, Okidland:
Mini phalaenopsis popular French Mother's Day gift
Alan Lu at the IPM Essen 2017 holding one of the new ceramic pot-plant combinations.
For Okidland, Mother's Day and Christmas are the most important seasons of the year. In their 20,000 greenhouse in Hyères they grow phalaenopsis and supplies them to flower shops, wholesalers and garden centers all over France.
For Mother's day, their white mini phalaenopsis and in particular the ones in a ceramic pot are in high demand. "Our mini phalaenopsis have a flower size of less than 5 cm and are available from two to ten stems. For mother's Day, the plants with three to four stems are the most demanded", says Lu.
Alan Lu in the greenhouse.
For this year's Mother's Day, Okidland doubled its production. "Last year, the demand outstripped the supply; we had a shortage of about 30 percent. For this reason, we increased our production by 200 percent this year." Besides that, they also decided to supply the ceramic pot-plant combinations in Mid and South of France. "We used to supply these combinations to flower shops in Paris only, but we noticed a demand from wholesalers and garden centers in other parts of the country too.
And both seemed to be good decisions. "The interest for our pot-plant combinations is very high and especially in the South of France." This year, Okidland sold over 200 percent more of their pot-plant combinations and 150 percent more single plants compared to last year.
Mini phalaenopsis in the greenhouse.
What is the reason for this sharp increase? Lu does not have just one explanation for it. "A couple of factors will probably play a role. In general, the demand for orchids is increasing. Last year we also noticed an increase in demand. Another possible explanation might be the fact that we are now offering the pot-plant combinations all over France. People might have seen these combinations in Paris and are now happy to see them in their own nearby garden center."
Also larger phalaenopsis plants are being grown in the greenhouse.
Till this Friday, it will be a busy time at Okidand's greenhouse with shipments leaving the farm on a daily or even two daily basis. In general Lu is quite satisfied with the demand and sales of this year's Mother's Day. "We were pleased to meet the demand and every year, we are eager to grow a little more."
For more information
Okidland France Biotechnology
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-01-15 Aleia Roses presents Aleia Máxima
- 2019-01-14 AmericanHort HortScholars program now accepting applications
- 2019-01-14 UK: Tristram Plants raises nearly £600 for Perennial
- 2019-01-14 Dutch Tulip Awards awarded
- 2019-01-14 Kenyan small-scale farmers take up flower farming
- 2019-01-11 Taiwan: Mentor sows love of foxtail orchids
- 2019-01-11 US (OH): Varieties, events are ever-expanding at Red Twig Farms
- 2019-01-10 US: AFE YPC member receives second-place at ASHS
- 2019-01-10 NL: Fachjan pot first plants in new 4ha greenhouse
- 2019-01-10 Video: Millions of bulbs grown vertically
- 2019-01-09 Ecuadorian rose grower goes beyond roses
- 2019-01-09 Russia: Orchids from Buryatia enter Siberia and the Far East
- 2019-01-07 UK: BPOA & Peter Seabrook seek to fund young talent
- 2019-01-07 CAN (ON): Grower trades diesel tractor for electric
- 2019-01-04 India: Jamshedpur's gerbera lady to train farmers
- 2019-01-04 Kenya: Oserian’s Sh13 million school feeding programme rolls out
- 2019-01-03 A million red roses from Vyborg
- 2019-01-02 US: Three students named beneficiaries of 2019 Spring Meadow - Proven Winners HRI scholarships
- 2019-01-02 UK: "Still an appetite in demand for phalaenopsis"
- 2019-01-02 A greenhouse filled with flowering, vegetable plants