With the fifth Dutch Lily Days coming into view, its organisation announced a change. The week will be shifted in 2015 to June 2 - 5. This is the organisation's response to the wish expressed by many visitors to be able to see flowering Orientals as well. Another advantage is that the Flower Trials are held a week later, and foreign visitors can now combine their visit to both events.
The fifth Dutch Lily Days builds on the successful formula first introduced in 2011. Now sixteen lily breeders and exporters open their doors for four successive days. This formula makes it easier for customers and other business relations to obtain a complete picture of the lily varieties all at once. And more and more people are taking advantage of that opportunity. Visitors plan it in their calendars as soon as the dates are announced. The interest from abroad has also been growing consistently over the four years.
This initiative has contributed to a major extent to putting lilies back in the spotlight, confirmed Dirk van Dorp from C. Steenvoorden BV. ‘The Dutch Lily Days are a display case for the entire sector. The significance of the event is putting Dutch lilies back on the map. And by combining forces with other exporters and breeders, you can draw attention to the broad palette of lilies.'
Given the years it takes to develop new varieties, trends in breeding are difficult to follow, but it is striking that the market seems to prefer brighter colours. ‘White will traditionally remain the most important colour, but the market is also looking for colours like cerise or purple.’
Orientals in bloom
This year the Dutch Lily Days have moved to another spot on the calendar. The choice for June 2 - 5 means that flowering Orientals will also be on view, which was a wish expressed by many visitors. In earlier years the programming was arranged too early for this late-flowering lily group. It also benefits our international business relations as they can combine it with a visit to the annual Flower Trials.
The participants in the fifth edition of the Dutch Lily Days are: Van den Bos Flowerbulbs, De Jong Lilys, Bot Flowerbulbs, Laan Flora Facilities, Lily Company, Mak Breeding, Marklily, Onings Holland Flowerbulbs, The Originals, C. Steenvoorden BV, G.A. Verdegaal, Gebr. Vletter & Den Haan, VWS Flowerbulbs, World Breeding, Zabo Plant and Royal Van Zanten.
For more information
Dutch Lily Days
Hans Onings, chair of the organisation
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
- EU Sales and Region manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- “The product quality is maintained, ensuring a longer shelf-life”
- "Mother’s Day ‘ruined’ as flowers from M&S, Sainsbury’s, and MoonPig arrive dead and moldy"
- Increasing the oxygen levels in irrigation water for a healthier growth
- New PGR guide for annuals now available
- Cees den Boer, co-founder Svensson Netherlands, passed away
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
2-5 June 2015:
Netherlands: Fifth Dutch Lily Days completes the picture of lilies with Orientals
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-21 US (FL): The Bloom Show covers the 2023 WFFSA’s Floral Distribution Conference
- 2023-03-21 Tulip Experience Amsterdam opens tulip experience for tourist
- 2023-03-20 Join the next ∑-Grow Inside seminar on March 28
- 2023-03-20 Asia’s largest tulip garden all set to greet visitors
- 2023-03-20 US (CA): The Santa Barbara International Orchid Show is back
- 2023-03-17 Ethiopia: Government pledges to address obstacles of horticulture sector
- 2023-03-17 Students named beneficiaries of 2022-2023 Spring Meadow - Proven Winners HRI scholarships
- 2023-03-17 Save the date for the Dutch Spring Trials
- 2023-03-17 RKW will put their LP-Keder products in the spotlight during the GreenTech Americas
- 2023-03-17 UK: HTA champions environmental horticulture at Lords Inquiry
- 2023-03-16 FloraHolland spring trade fair comes to an end
- 2023-03-15 Impression WF&FSA Floral Distribution Conference
- 2023-03-15 Autonomous Greenhouse – Improving Production and Sustainability
- 2023-03-15 US: Sea of colors at the Tulipalooza Festival in North Texas
- 2023-03-15 Busy times at the 2023 Great Lakes Floral & Event Expo
- 2023-03-15 UK: Arena Flowers launches Livestream Shopping shows for flowers
- 2023-03-14 "This way, visitors can explore a whole range of European spring plants"
- 2023-03-14 NL: Excellence Roses certificates awarded, brings total assortment to 66
- 2023-03-14 Grow Pro webinar series lineup released
- 2023-03-13 US (PA): Mercer County Community College Horticulture program wins gold at 2023 Philadelphia flower show with sustainable show-stopping display