- Managing Director, UK
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
Top 5 -yesterday
- Marketing trends for 2023 your organization should consider
- "Increasing demand for coco substrate and sustainable cultivation systems with circular fertilizers"
- “A pot rose with an X-factor”
- Midstream Lighting completes acquisition of Hyperion Grow
- Special Year Overview 2022: Some award-winning rose varieties!
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Sarah Corselis, Okidland: "Auctioned for 2 euros per stem"
French Mother's Day: Unexpected popularity of white and mini florets
This picture made by Sarah Corselis at the Hyeres Flower Market in France. The cut flower orchids of Okidland were auctioned and on the left side of the picture and roses on the right side.
This Sunday, on May 31, Mother's Day will be celebrated in France. "People are eager to try something new for this Mother's Day" says Corselis. And this was clearly visible during the auction in Hyeres, South of France, this morning. "Usually, the pink colored orchids are much in demand for Mother's Day. However, today, at the Hyeres Flower Market in the South of France where Okidlands sells cut flower orchids, white and mini florets outperformed their pink orchid varieties. "We didn't expect that." says Corselis.
The florets are sold in boxes of 50 stems with 6cm or 12 cm flowers.
French Mother's Day is an important Day for Okidland. "It is a very good Mother's Day, we advertised a lot and with success; our sales doubled compared to last year" says Corselis. "We only supply flower shops and some wholesalers in the South of France. The orchids we sell to flower shops in Paris are supplied in ceramic pots this Mother's Day, those compositions are true masterpieces", she says.
Upper right: Greenhouse of Okidland. Botom right: pink orchids of Okidland.
Yellow varieties are not popular anymore
It is well-known that yellow is not a popular Mother's Day color, but according to Corselis, the demand for this color decreased in general. Their core market includes Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany and regions of the Mediterranean countries. "We are always trying to meet the needs of the customers. Over the years we see the demand changing and we try to adapt to these changes. Therefore, we started to focus on various spotted varieties. We are also adapting our products to our new package, with small white orchids, our customers expect these products."
Okidland was established in 2009 in Taiwan and established a greenhouse in France in 2014. The French nursery is located in Hyères, in the South of France. It has an area of 40,000 square metres, of which 20,000 square metres are covered by a Eco greenhouse that utilizes the latest solar energy technologies to provide greenhouse heat. "We can maintain the temperature to grow our orchids without the use of additional electricity thus enabling us to do our part to help keep the planet more natural and pollution-free." The product range of Okid Land Nursery includes Phalaenopsis, Cattleya, Paphiopedilum, Oncidium, Cycnoches, Pachira and Japanese Serissa.
For more information:
Okidland France Biotechnology
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 Planting trees in cities is about more than nature
- 2022-12-08 Australia: Hands-free horticulture sees higher production
- 2022-12-07 The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society shares 2023 gardening trends
- 2022-12-06 PCJCCI calls for Pak-China joint ventures in floriculture
- 2022-12-02 NL: Greenhouse horticulture and government sign covenant: CO2 greenhouse emissions to go down
- 2022-12-02 Mexico: "A lot of unlocked potential and opportunities to grow"
- 2022-12-02 US: Slower 2022, but gardeners still plan to plant in 2023
- 2022-12-02 Ontario greenhouse keeping up with Christmas tree demand
- 2022-11-30 Government works towards better conditions for Canadian farm workers
- 2022-11-30 Diversity of floricultural crops traded in Langsa City Aceh Indonesia
- 2022-11-29 Dutch ornamental plant production to fall 20% by 2023
- 2022-11-29 Key issues affecting the green industry in the US
- 2022-11-28 India: Cultivation boost: State mulls to set up flower packaging infrastructure
- 2022-11-25 "If we continue like this, everyone will get their turn eventually"
- 2022-11-25 Water rules add to challenges for California farmers
- 2022-11-24 US: Christmas trees were scarce and expensive last year, this year might be worse, growers say
- 2022-11-22 Colombian flowers captivate Korean market with colors and variety
- 2022-11-22 NL: How profitable are migrant hotels really for Dutch job agencies?
- 2022-11-22 US (WI): Local greenhouse gears up for holiday season as trees are in short supply
- 2022-11-21 Labor challenges and inflation in the Canadian horti sector