Several South African growers have visited a solar energy project in Kenya by invitation of Certhon. At Stokman Rozen Kenya Ltd., a solar energy station has been running successfully since 2010, there water is heated in order to heat the greenhouse.
Due to the low temperatures at night, it’s needed strictly to heat the greenhouse. Before 2010, only kerosene was used therefor. Currently, Stokman uses the ‘free energy’ of sunlight, which warms the water up. This hot water is stored in a completely isolated heat storage tank. With this heat, the greenhouse gets warmed up at night.
“Our customer has been satisfied for the last years not in least because of the saving of kerosene,” tells export manager Rob de Wit. “Earlier, Stokman sometimes used 1400 litres of kerosene a night! Currently, he used a maximum of 400 litres. A confirmation of the saving of 1000 litres a night! According to Stokman Rozen Kenya Ltd. the period of return on investments for this project is two years!”
De Wit explains it’s necessary to heat greenhouses at night in several places in South Africa, in order to reduce diseases and increase production. “The South African growers were impressed by the simplicity and robustness of the system, which is nearly free of maintenance.”
Interested in solar energy solutions for your company? Please contact the sales department of Certhon in the Netherlands.
For more information
ABC Westland 555
P.O. Box 90
2685 ZH Poeldijk
T: +31 174 22 50 80
F: +31 174 22 50 81
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We now have full control of our rooting container and substrate"
- KF Bioplants names two new gerbera varieties and Best Grower of 2023
- "May the White Force bloom with you"
- What to expect at the California Spring Trials?
- Bredefleur Moerkapelle takes over neighbour's greenhouse and expands to 13.5 hectares
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-20 Rebranded Stolze Mexico expands into North American market as GROWA
- 2023-03-17 Bredefleur Moerkapelle takes over neighbour's greenhouse and expands to 13.5 hectares
- 2023-03-17 AFE introduces their new Friends of Floral Program
- 2023-03-16 Solar panels make up for 50% of the annual energy consumption at DREA
- 2023-03-16 Managing assortment on Floriday improved with supply selections
- 2023-03-16 NL: Stolk G4M Plants introduces Spathiphyllum Jet Diamond
- 2023-03-16 Dutch companies merge
- 2023-03-16 Ian Rasmussen appointed as CEO of Royal Dutch Paardekooper Group
- 2023-03-16 Ugo Conforti appointed as President of Flora Toscana
- 2023-03-16 Floward raises USD156 million
- 2023-03-15 NL: Minister of Agriculture visits Dutch breeder
- 2023-03-15 Dutch nurseries expand partnership
- 2023-03-14 NL: Violets make way for greenhouse allotments
- 2023-03-14 BASF Venture Capital GmbH invests in WayBeyond
- 2023-03-14 Tristram Plants raises over £5000 for Ukraine appeal
- 2023-03-13 BioSafe Systems celebrates 25th anniversary
- 2023-03-13 Voshol joins GreenV group to serve consolidating market
- 2023-03-10 US (FL): Royal Van Zanten showcases award winners at WFFSA, Miami
- 2023-03-10 Roobos becomes part of Floral Trade Group
- 2023-03-09 5 years of World Horti Center