- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
Martine van Went on the distribution of gerbers at the Florist
Netherlands: Increasing popularity for frost resistant gerberas
Martine van Went, in a show greenhouse during the FlowerTrials.
"The company is one of the biggest on the market, breeding and increasing the gerberas," says Martine van Went, marketing manager at Florist. During the FlowerTrials the company showed visitors a large collection of plants: large and small types, gerberas out of seed and tissue breed and different types of cut flowers and potted plants. "We have four leading segments in cut flowers," says Van Went: "regular, mini, pomponi and piccolini. The potted plants have the difference of inside and outside plants. Flori Line is our kind of seed for potted plants. It's known for the shiny colors and bi colors. Sundaysz seed is for compact plants with double flowers, suitable for terraces and balconies. And of course the frost resistant garvinea seed, it blossoms from early spring until winter time."
A florist made these recordings with a special drone during the FlowerTrials
The garvinea is special. The company have won different awards for it since 2009. "It worked to make a new strong, disease resistant and frost resistant type of gerbera. You can't compare it with the regular Gerbera jamesonii. The genetic material is way different than known types on the market. Garvinea is still in development so our expectations are high. This year, Florist Holland will bring the new generation garvinea's on the market. These types have a bigger flower and polychrome colors. Florist offers this season a new type of starting material for grower and retailer."
The market is mostly Dutch, but also Italy and Japan breed gerberas. The important increasing part finds place at KF Bioplants in India, the joint venture between Florist Holland B.V. and Kumar Group. "KF Bioplants features top facilities to produce quality products and a fast and efficient way for Florist Holland to provide for the world market."
Florist has some news. They will build 1 ha extra at Dwarsweg in Aalsmeer in the future. "We have a lack of space. We need this area to optimize our activities, win efficiency and cut costs." The expected delivery is around spring 2016 and the production location will have a total of 5,5 ha.
For more information:
Florist Holland BV
Martine van Went
1430 AA Aalsmeer
T: +31 (0)297 328229
M: +31 (0)6 517 594 79
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-10-02 "Solfaro Pelargonium line is growing continuously"
- 2023-10-02 Saving Canadian rose genetics from being lost forever
- 2023-09-28 American Garden Rose Selections announces 2024 winners
- 2023-09-28 Plantec, introducing new varieties for over 30 years
- 2023-09-27 "The almost impossible succeeded, Infinity landed in New Zealand"
- 2023-09-27 United Selections' colorful highlights from the Naivasha Horticultural Fair
- 2023-09-18 Celtuce, blue wheat, orange tomatoes, and more draw crowd to SCOPE Field Day
- 2023-09-18 "Jamesbrittenias are 'Suteras on steroids'"
- 2023-09-14 “Consumers are looking for a nostalgic plant with a unique quality”
- 2023-09-13 Design of an easy-to-make hydroponic cultivation medium to obtain root systems in sunflower during early vegetative growth
- 2023-09-12 UK: Ball Colegrave announces top annuals and perennials
- 2023-09-12 Danziger wins Red Ribbon Award for Million Daisy Gypsophila at SAF’s Outstanding Varieties Competition
- 2023-09-11 Continental Breeding's roses shine at Palomo Spain fashion show
- 2023-09-08 Royal Van Zanten takes home two ‘Best in Class’ awards during SAF
- 2023-09-08 "We love to introduce new varieties that fit the current trends"
- 2023-09-07 President of Moldova Maia Sandu visits HilverdaFlorist in the Netherlands