A team of football playing growers from the Vale of Evesham has raised over £27,000 for Birmingham Children’s Hospital and Cancer Research UK. Made up of growers from horticultural businesses in the local area, Growers Utd FC was started in 2012 by Bal Padda, of Vicarage Nurseries at Bretforton.
From left: Steve Hughes (technical area sales manager ICL) Alan Kennedy (Liverpool Legends League Championship 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83, 1983/84; League Cup 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984; European Cup 1981, 1984), Bal Padda (commercial director Vicarage Nurseries) and Bern Jordan (BHGS area sales manager).
“The aim was to raise money for charity while using football as a vehicle to bring together the many different nationalities working in the UK horticultural industry,” explains Bern Jordan, area sales manager at horticultural suppliers BHGS, and a committee member at Evesham Utd FC. “Evesham Utd has a number of pitches and with an active kids programme, were only too pleased to provide a venue for us.”
It all kicked off on a very wet November evening in 2012 when Growers Utd played Evesham Utd in a friendly - proceeds going to Birmingham Children’s Hospital and to support a local child diagnosed with cancer.
By 2013 the annual event had grown into one-day 9-a-side tournament with 24 teams. The following year 32 teams competed over a weekend. This year it has grown in to a two-weekend affair with teams of growers taking part from across the UK horticultural industry – soft fruit, vegetable, protected salads, ornamentals and parks and gardens sectors.
“Teams are coming from as far afield as Poole and East Anglia as well as a team from West Mercia Police and Wychavon District Council,” says Bern. “Last weekend Growers Utd played Liverpool Legends. This coming weekend 32 teams will play 9-a-side with Growers Utd then taking on the Soap Stars celebrity team on Sunday afternoon. We never dreamt the event would become so popular and we are obviously delighted it is raising so much money for charity.”
The match balls have been donated by ICL (formerly Everris), providers of leading precision nutrition, growing media, turf seed and plant protection products in the UK.
For more information
Steve Hughes ICL
- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
Top 5 - yesterday
- Tagawa Greenhouse rooting cuttings better and faster
- "High demand for our orchids and we see a shift from flowers to flowering plants"
- NL: Sustainable hydrangea greenhouse opens its doors
- “Portugal is a small country, but it's the 8th top producer of ornamentals in Europe"
- New dates for World Floral Expo 2023
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "It extends the shelf life of roses by 50-100%"
- "Entering Europe is a natural next step in our growth"
- Cut flower ocean shipments continue to rise
- “In over 35 years of operations, we’ve seen a lot change in the foliage market”
- Denmark: "Growers see this crisis as an opportunity to improve and be more innovative"
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-22 US: Master Nursery Garden Centers recognizes top vendors for 2022
- 2023-03-22 Six million trays sold, new models and expansion of the recycling station
- 2023-03-22 Royal Brinkman and Moleaer expand cooperation in Mexico
- 2023-03-21 Cees den Boer, co-founder Svensson Netherlands, passed away
- 2023-03-21 NL: Henda Flowers opens new greenhouse
- 2023-03-20 Rebranded Stolze Mexico expands into North American market as GROWA
- 2023-03-17 Bredefleur Moerkapelle takes over neighbour's greenhouse and expands to 13.5 hectares
- 2023-03-17 AFE introduces their new Friends of Floral Program
- 2023-03-16 Solar panels make up for 50% of the annual energy consumption at DREA
- 2023-03-16 Managing assortment on Floriday improved with supply selections
- 2023-03-16 NL: Stolk G4M Plants introduces Spathiphyllum Jet Diamond
- 2023-03-16 Dutch companies merge
- 2023-03-16 Ian Rasmussen appointed as CEO of Royal Dutch Paardekooper Group
- 2023-03-16 Ugo Conforti appointed as President of Flora Toscana
- 2023-03-16 Floward raises USD156 million
- 2023-03-15 NL: Minister of Agriculture visits Dutch breeder
- 2023-03-15 Dutch nurseries expand partnership
- 2023-03-14 NL: Violets make way for greenhouse allotments
- 2023-03-14 BASF Venture Capital GmbH invests in WayBeyond
- 2023-03-14 Tristram Plants raises over £5000 for Ukraine appeal