"We are a cut flower grower and we grow 20 different varieties of alstroemerias. Annually, we produce around 25 million stems," says Rick Tesselaar of Tesselaar Altroemeria from Luttelgeest, the Netherlands.
Take a look in the greenhouse of Tesselaar. He is proud of his product: "It is a beautiful flower: when you buy the flower, you often only see the buds, but then they open and you see an explosion of color. People are becoming happy with this flower and I am really proud what we are doing here."
"We find it very important to customize our orders to the needs of our customers. Therefore, the customers are more satisfied. It is a large part of our success." On average, 35 people are working in the greenhouse. Besides that, 20 students are working in the greenhouse on the weekends and holidays. Everyone has his own responsibility and is therefore able to develop. "I see myself more as a coach then a boss."
"Every day is different, and that is what I like about my job," says Tesselaar.
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-10 “I was looking for a solution which would help me create a very specific climate in my greenhouses"
- 2023-03-10 March on a flower farm
- 2023-03-09 This fabled orchid breeder loves to chat — just not about Trader Joe's orchids
- 2023-03-08 "Today, I see the fact that I’m a woman as an advantage"
- 2023-03-07 Tea growers make real horticultural tea together
- 2023-02-27 CAN (QC): A local Quebec flower farm is leading the way in The Slow Flowers Movement
- 2023-02-27 Introducing native perennials as cut flowers
- 2023-02-24 Alternative spring crops from Köder Gartenbau
- 2023-02-21 US (WI): Yoga in the greenhouse
- 2023-02-21 UK: "Why we're going peat-free?"
- 2023-02-20 Avri Farms starts pink hydrangea production in Ecuador
- 2023-02-20 NL: 365 days of summer with full-LED
- 2023-02-16 "We make sure the varieties are really grown as bulb-on-pot varieties"
- 2023-02-16 US (NJ): Farmer growing flowers a little greener thanks to grant to convert to geothermal heat
- 2023-02-16 Cyprus: Life for flower grower is no bed of roses
- 2023-02-16 A tour of the Colombian floriculture industry
- 2023-02-13 Flores El Capiro celebrates 10K container shipment of chrysanthemums
- 2023-02-10 “We can be more energy efficient while adjusting our electricity use based on energy price fluctuations”
- 2023-02-09 Kendi finds her life calling preserving beauty of blooms for up to 2 years
- 2023-02-08 "Producing thousands of healthy, vigorous plants from cuttings is not easy"