- Head of Sales
- Medewerker Productmanagement
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
- Sales Person
Top 5 -yesterday
- Outdoor cyclamen bred for the hot and dry Mediterranean climates
- How to use 2021 Valentine's Day to plan your 2022 sales
- Peter Seabrook, BBC Gardeners' World star dies aged 86
- NL: Record turnover of €7.3 billion for flower and plant exports in 2021
- “With everyone facing obstacles, we're thrilled our 2021 holiday season went so well"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Ralph de Boer, Rosa Flora:
"Cogen makes “good earth sense and good business"
In 1991, Rosa Flora implemented the first two Cat G3516 generator sets in their greenhouse operation to provide a flexible supply of electrical power for lighting and an economical source for heating water. As they experienced great results with these two installations, the growers installed additional gensets simultaneously with the expansion of their acreage. Nowadays they have 4 generators with a capacity of 2 Mw each.
"Cogeneration helps us to produce flowers in the most sustainable way possible," said Rosa Flora's Ralph De Boer. "We transform natural gas into electricity and heat; two of the most important things that we need to produce our flowers year round. At the same time, we have a permit to deliver the electricity that we do not need back to the grid, which makes it a very interesting technology for us as well."
At the beginning of this year, after their strong recovery from the devastating fire, the Dunville based cut flower grower announced the expansion of their Lisianthus and Snapdragon production. According to grower Ralph de Boer, the expansion demands a well thought out energy strategy in their production.
"Especially the lisianthus is a crop that demands a lot of heat, year round. Even during the warm summers we have our cogens running in order to make sure that the lisianthus are growing in the climate that it prefers. During the winter months we also use the additional biomass boilers to heat our greenhouses. Thanks to three large heat storage tanks, we are able to run the gensets or boilers individually at the desired moment, to make sure that we produce as efficiently as possible."
For more information on Rosa Flora: www.rosaflora.com
For more information on CAT CHP's in Canada: www.toromont.com
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-17 US (CA): Three steps an orchid grower is undertaking to reduce carbon footprint
- 2022-01-11 UK Climate Change Agreements help ease Climate Change Levy tax for Horticulture sectors
- 2022-01-07 Research: Screen manufacturers can help achieving high energy savings
- 2021-12-24 How to efficiently keep your plants warm in the winter
- 2021-12-24 UK: New energy project enables growers to access lower-cost heat
- 2021-12-23 UK plant health services: follow up consultation
- 2021-12-23 Water scarcity to be the new plague of the Middle East
- 2021-12-07 US: Bergen's Greenhouse gets a winter's worth of heat thanks to 600-ton donation
- 2021-12-07 "Attention for gas alternatives is increasing"
- 2021-12-02 "Just swap the window for a panel"
- 2021-11-22 "Clean glass leads to increased production and reduced energy consumption"
- 2021-11-17 China: “We want 90% of our sleeve production to be powered by solar energy”
- 2021-11-17 Northern Croatia eyes geothermal as option for flower production
- 2021-11-15 Lithium-ion technology in greenhouses
- 2021-11-09 How do I use less energy to heat my greenhouse?
- 2021-10-27 Geothermal greenhouses: can the UK learn from Iceland?
- 2021-10-20 UK Energy Crisis 2021 - Higher prices all round?
- 2021-10-20 Energy update: growers revert to oil, dumping (too) early
- 2021-10-12 Electricity for the people, heat for the plants
- 2021-09-27 Newly released LED light enables efficient growth at an industrial scale