A life without e-mails, texting, WhatsApp and social media? It is almost impossible these days. The world looks so different since the existence of the internet. The real internet pioneers immediately took their opportunity. One of them was Euroflorist, operating in the online gift industry with one of the largest network of florists worldwide. Together with Amazon, Euroflorist celebrate their 20th anniversary on the internet.
August 1995. Euroflorist launched their first webshop in Sweden. "It all started with an article I read about the 'Internet' and we decided to go to a seminar at the Lund University. It turned out that it mainly concerned the university network, which was quite slow. Something as simple as loading a page lasted a minute if not longer. We knew immediately that this could be very interesting for our company," says former CEO and founder Peter Jung Beck.
Jungbeck decided to go 'online' as Euroflorist and made his first step into the unknown world of the internet. We had just one computer with internet, this one was used to exchange orders with partners worldwide. "It went a bit slow, not a lot of people were using the internet back then. But the most important thing was that we were online. We were one of the five companies in our branch with a webshop," said Jungbeck.
A couple of years later during Valentine's Day they got an enormous amount of orders. Suddenly hundreds of orders came in. "We were overwhelmed by all those orders, it was quite exciting. This was the real beginning of our webshop," said Fredrik Sundberg, now one of the directors within the EuroFlorist Group, who was there that year.
"During that time, people found us by using Yahoo or Altavista, nowadays most of the people use Google," explains Sundberg. "Later on we started cooperating with a few homepages. Now we get the most clicks through them."
In 2005, Euroflorist won the Microsoft.NET Award for the most modern webshop of Europe. Besides flower orders you can also upload an address book and calendar.
Founder Peter Jungbeck still can't believe how quickly developments are going. "In 1995 we never thought that the internet would grow this big. Looking back on the past ten years, it is above all expectations, that we started as a network and grew to an e-commerce driven organization. Pretty amazing isn't it?"
For more information:
Euroflorist Europe B.V
De Entree 143-145
1101 HE Amsterdam
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-22 "SecondFlor answers your wish of preserved flowers in the USA"
- 2023-03-20 US (IA): Spring on track for Iowa trees, shrubs, and flowers
- 2023-03-10 Funeral Flowers Arrangement same day delivery service to United States and Canada
- 2023-03-09 "Now up to 30% weight savings for the 5, 8 and 10 liter buckets"
- 2023-03-01 US (PA): Black women florists group blooms in the spotlight at the PHS Flower Show
- 2023-02-22 “Making the industry more efficient benefits everyone”
- 2023-02-21 "Passion and invention lead 2023 floral trends"
- 2023-02-17 UK: Bouquet of Valentine’s Day roses being sold for whopping £385 at central London station
- 2023-02-13 Arena appoints the UK’s first generative AI-powered florist, ‘Daisy’
- 2023-02-03 Above All Flowers and New Bloom Solutions will join forces with Black Girl Florists
- 2023-01-31 Brides swapping bouquets for onions as vegetable reaches luxury status
- 2023-01-25 US (MA): Springfield florist already preparing for Valentine’s Day rush
- 2023-01-11 US: 1-800-Flowers.com expands gifting plantform with 'Things Remembered'
- 2023-01-09 From small flower shop to flourishing global enterprise
- 2023-01-04 The rediscovery and lectotypification of Acranthera philippinensis (Rubiaceae)
- 2022-12-09 US: How floral delivery company FTD revamped its operations following bankruptcy
- 2022-12-09 Jung Lee made roses and iris stars of U.S. state dinner gala
- 2022-12-08 Malaysian florist gives unwanted flowers a second chance at beauty with her bouquets
- 2022-11-30 Focus on one single flower
- 2022-11-24 Floward to expand operations in Oman, provide more jobs for Omani youths