"Pixie Grape, a versatile indoor/outdoor grapevine, is a must-have edible ornamental and we want to share it with the world,” said Chandra Bierhuizen, Sales/Marketing Manager at Sunrise Greenhouses located in Vineland, Ontario. Since 2012, the family-run operation has been marketing this dwarf grapevine in Canada and now their plan is to enter worldwide markets.
Pixie Grape available through Sunrise Greenhouses.
Six years ago, Robert Bierhuizen, President of Sunrise Greenhouses and Board Director of Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) recognized the ornamental value of the miniature vine and partnered with Vineland to develop new varieties of Pixie Grape.
The first variety, Pinot Meunier, was launched in Canada in 2012 to overwhelming demand. Pixie Grape is now available in all major supermarkets and garden centres nationwide.
Since then, Sunrise Greenhouses have initiated entry for their product line in France and Japan and are currently undergoing quarantine procedures, required by international regulators, which can take up to two years to complete. “This past year, some plants proceeded to market release in Japan,” said Chandra. “Gaining access to markets outside of North America can be lengthy and costly but the rewards can as well be fruitful.”
Sunrise Greenhouses have also been active on the U.S. side, approaching California-based Plug Connection for their marketing and sales needs. They shipped over 40,000 Pixie Grape plants to the company in the U.S. in 2015.
About Pixie Grape
Pixie Grape is a new type of Vitis vinifera cultivar derived from Pinot Meunier. These types of grapes are traditionally used for producing wines including champagnes. This ornamental dwarf vine grows 30 to 60 cm in height and produces grape clusters with an average size of 10 cm. In fact, Pixie Grape is so small, it can be grown in a coffee cup. Unlike traditional Pinot Meunier vines that can take up to three years to bear fruits, Pixie Grape begins producing grapes within the first year of growth.
For more information:
Vineland Research and Innovation Centre
- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
Top 5 - yesterday
- Tagawa Greenhouse rooting cuttings better and faster
- "High demand for our orchids and we see a shift from flowers to flowering plants"
- “Portugal is a small country, but it's the 8th top producer of ornamentals in Europe"
- New dates for World Floral Expo 2023
- NL: Sustainable hydrangea greenhouse opens its doors
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "It extends the shelf life of roses by 50-100%"
- "Entering Europe is a natural next step in our growth"
- Cut flower ocean shipments continue to rise
- “In over 35 years of operations, we’ve seen a lot change in the foliage market”
- Denmark: "Growers see this crisis as an opportunity to improve and be more innovative"
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-22 US: Master Nursery Garden Centers recognizes top vendors for 2022
- 2023-03-22 Six million trays sold, new models and expansion of the recycling station
- 2023-03-22 Royal Brinkman and Moleaer expand cooperation in Mexico
- 2023-03-21 Cees den Boer, co-founder Svensson Netherlands, passed away
- 2023-03-21 NL: Henda Flowers opens new greenhouse
- 2023-03-20 Rebranded Stolze Mexico expands into North American market as GROWA
- 2023-03-17 Bredefleur Moerkapelle takes over neighbour's greenhouse and expands to 13.5 hectares
- 2023-03-17 AFE introduces their new Friends of Floral Program
- 2023-03-16 Solar panels make up for 50% of the annual energy consumption at DREA
- 2023-03-16 Managing assortment on Floriday improved with supply selections
- 2023-03-16 NL: Stolk G4M Plants introduces Spathiphyllum Jet Diamond
- 2023-03-16 Dutch companies merge
- 2023-03-16 Ian Rasmussen appointed as CEO of Royal Dutch Paardekooper Group
- 2023-03-16 Ugo Conforti appointed as President of Flora Toscana
- 2023-03-16 Floward raises USD156 million
- 2023-03-15 NL: Minister of Agriculture visits Dutch breeder
- 2023-03-15 Dutch nurseries expand partnership
- 2023-03-14 NL: Violets make way for greenhouse allotments
- 2023-03-14 BASF Venture Capital GmbH invests in WayBeyond
- 2023-03-14 Tristram Plants raises over £5000 for Ukraine appeal