- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Growing Manager young vegetable plants - Italy
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
- Sales Manager Citrus
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Cuttings and young plants from locations within Europe are more in demand than ever"
- Mayte Grazia receives own rose: 'The Most Beautiful'
- White LEDs: a cost-effective alternative to red and far-red LEDs
- Van den Bos Flowerbulbs and Penning Freesia join forces
- "Private Equity has Food & Flower sector in its sights"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Stephanie Naa Dedei Langdon Solomon, Epreuve Garden Centre:
"Ghana: "Even commercial growers are importing orchids"
High popularity of orchids
Epreuve Garden Centre is a professional gardening and landscaping company, specialized in commercial and residential landscaping in Accra, Ghana. The company imports orchids from Thailand and the Netherlands and sells them in Ghana. According to Stephany, orchids (and the dendrobiums in particular) have become very popular over the last four to five years, increasing the number of orchid growers in the country. However, the demand is still higher than production capacity of the Ghanaian orchid growers. For this reason, many commercial orchid growers are also importing the plant.
Ghana Garden and Flower show
The popularity of orchids is also visible at the Ghana Garden and Flower Show which is held yearly in Accra. The forth coming show will be from 10th to the 14th September 2015 where many orchids will be on display and Stephany will hold a workshop on growing orchids. "For this workshop, I will show different Thai and Dutch orchid species," she says. "Actually, we still need some Dutch orchids for the show, so we are working hard to get in touch with them," she added.
More commercial growers in the future
As the demand increased, so did the amount of commercial growers. However, as said earlier, the demand is still higher than the supply of domestic orchids. "Besides that, the price of importing flowers increased, due to the, for us, negative currency developments. Therefore, it becomes increasingly interesting to start growing orchids commercially or for the commercial growers to expand their current production capacity. So, in the coming years I will expect more orchid growers here in Ghana," she concludes.
For more information
Epreuve Garden Center
Agyriganno Road, East Legon
P.O. Box MP 150 Mamprobi - Accra
M: +233 20 466 8382
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-23 India: CSIR-IIIM organizes training program for farmers
- 2022-09-23 India: low flower sales lead to price decrease in Koyembedu market
- 2022-09-23 UK farm businesses to have energy bills halved as part of new scheme
- 2022-09-21 Call for protest collective: 'Keep putting up upside-down flags'
- 2022-09-21 Indian flower growers eye co-op with Turkish firms to boost sector
- 2022-09-16 Largest wildflower farm in the US blooms in Fredericksburg
- 2022-09-16 Horticultural municipalities send urgent letter
- 2022-09-16 Floriculture market is rising due to growing use of flowers for aesthetic purposes
- 2022-09-15 Borrow the blooms is disrupting the flower industry with their sustainable, aromatic flowers
- 2022-09-15 New training helps nurseries be on the lookout for invasive species
- 2022-09-15 Australian flower brand LVLY launches in Malaysia
- 2022-09-15 The current situation in German ornamental plant cultivation
- 2022-09-15 Namibia reports record tomato exports to South Africa
- 2022-09-15 Valley entrepreneurs find their niches in the flower industry
- 2022-09-14 Crisis update: 'There is enough supply to bring gas prices down'
- 2022-09-14 "Greenhouse growers, let's hear from you!"
- 2022-09-13 South Korea's consumption of flowers grew over 6 percent in 2021 amid pandemic
- 2022-09-13 NL: "Government must guarantee stable gas prices"
- 2022-09-09 Nursery plants remain Santa Clara County’s most valuable crops
- 2022-09-09 RCPP grants: A new take on alternative funding