- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Senior Grower
Top 5 - yesterday
- Dümmen Orange shows full portfolio at FlowerTrials
- Entries for the Aiph International Grower of the Year Award to close on June 30
- Chrysanthemums can be grown with less electricity and less heat
- NL: Orchid Inspiration Days around the corner
- New sprayable feed enhances the establishment of beneficial insects
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
- “Carnations have made a comeback; being seen as trendy again”
US: Illumitex LED Lights put on Penn State University greenhouse
Penn State’s College of Agriculture Sciences awarded its first degrees in 1876, and currently offers 17 undergraduate minors and graduate programs in 18 major areas. The college invests nearly $97 million in research and graduate study yearly.
Having access to Illumitex’s advanced LED technology will benefit both the research and teaching missions of the university. Plant Science researchers will be able to conduct precise experiments under ideal light conditions year 'round, and students in courses with greenhouse culture components will be able to hone their horticultural skill set, growing under cutting-edge LED crop lighting.
“These lights will significantly expand opportunities for research and learning in our greenhouse facility,” says Scott DiLoreto, greenhouse manager for the College of Agricultural Sciences, which has approximately 3600 enrollees. “We installed LED fixtures in several densities. In some greenhouses we are providing sufficient supplemental illumination to grow ornamentals and vegetables well through the dark winter months. In other houses we installed higher density fixtures to really push the growth of high-light research crops, such as beans, corn and rice.”
Penn State had a single small installation of Illumitex LED lighting for a few years, which demonstrated the efficacy of LED technology in the college’s greenhouses. When the time came for a major crop-lighting upgrade, DiLoreto knew he wanted to replace their HID lighting with LED technology.
“In addition to the energy savings associated with LED lighting, we needed a linear ‘strip’ style LED to provide uniform illumination over growing surfaces. Our greenhouses have relatively low gable heights, and it was very difficult to provide uniform illumination with HID lighting — there were hot spots and cold spots,” says DiLoreto. “The ES2 strips provide the uniform illumination we are looking for.”
Illumitex finds particular reward in working with universities.
“It’s an honor for us to work with such a prestigious university,” says Paul Gray, VP of Horticulture Lighting Solutions and Senior Horticulture Scientist. “It’s truly gratifying to know our lights will help shape the minds of future horticulturists.”
For more information
6301 E. Stassney Ln.
Building 6, Suite 400
Austin, TX 78744
T: +1 512-279-1828
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-06 Tal Netzer appointed as CEO of DryGair
- 2023-06-06 Floranow acquires flower wholesaler Bloomax
- 2023-06-06 UK firm acquires full stake in Bigot Flower Kenya
- 2023-06-05 "Sustainability is also about extending the life of greenhouses"
- 2023-06-05 Swiss biological agricultural product manufacturer sets up office in Kenya
- 2023-06-02 Captain and Könst calla assortment presented during Captain Calla Days
- 2023-06-02 Delphy Group remains independent
- 2023-06-02 FloraLife unveils new brand identity
- 2023-06-02 Kenya: Marcoz Holdings gets approval for acquisition of Phima Flowers
- 2023-06-02 New guardian monitor Wi-Fi launched
- 2023-06-01 Picalla scratch campaign puts buyers in the spotlight
- 2023-06-01 Kenya: Lima Labs makes debut at IFTEX
- 2023-05-31 NZ: New people join HortNZ Board
- 2023-05-31 Stuppy celebrates 150th anniversary
- 2023-05-31 Kuehne+Nagel announces management changes in Middle East and Africa region
- 2023-05-30 "Since the merger, we’re focusing more on greenhouse segments"
- 2023-05-30 Eason Horticultural Resources adds Logistics Specialist John Ollis to its logistics team
- 2023-05-30 NL: Double screen installation at Van Daalen Cymbidium
- 2023-05-29 Dissolved oxygen platform launched
- 2023-05-26 GroupDC acquires Hawita