Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that affects a wide range of plants and is common to many farmers. The disease is caused by Blumeria graminis. It is one of the easier diseases to spot, as its symptoms are quite distinctive. Infected plants display white powdery spots on the leaves and stems. The lower leaves are the most affected, but the mildew can appear on any above-ground part of the plant. As the disease progresses, the spots get larger and denser as large numbers of asexual spores are formed, and the mildew may spread up and down the length of the plant.
In light of this, Amiran is this year going a notch higher in the fight against powdery mildew with the introduction of Cyflamid 5EW®, a protectant fungicide with excellent preventive, curative and long residual activity against powdery mildew. With the active ingredient, Cyflufenamid that belongs to the group of benzamidoxime and is the only representative of this group commercialized, its mode of action is unknown. Cyflufenamid is active on all strains of powdery mildew including strains resistant to DMIs, strobilurins, morpholines and benzimidazoles. At a rate of 0.5L/Ha, Cyflamid 5EW, offers a new novel way to control powdery mildew, reporting positive results for its;
- Residual activity, vapour action, curative activity & penetrative action
- Both primary & secondary infections control
- Cyflamid is in the new group U6 for Fungicides Resistance Management
- Safe for predatory mites and beneficial organisms (less adverse effect on bees)
- Excellent curative and long lasting protectant activity (Active on all strains of Powdery Mildew including strains resistant to DMIs, Strobilurins, Morpholines & Benzimidazoles)
- Unknown cross resistance to Cyflufenamid in pathogens that have developed reduced sensitivity to other fungicides.
Domark 40EW, another of Amiran’s field proven solutions to the problematic disease, is a broad spectrum, systemic triazole fungicide with properties for the prevention and cure of powdery mildew at the vegetative stages inside and outside the host plant. Domark 40EW displays a strong residual mode of action by inhibiting the mycelia growth of several phytopathogenic fungi through a specific and selective mechanism. The typical feature of this compound is the presence in its molecule of a tetrafluoroethoxy group. This group causes ideal water solubility and lipophilicity to Tetraconazole, which results in;
- Fast penetration and translocation within the plant
- Translaminar movement
- Systemicity through the upward lymphatic stream
- Even distribution inside the plant without local accumulation
- Preventive and curative activity
- Excellent selectivity due to; no interference with gibberellins biosynthesis (no stunting effects), no interference with phytosterols biosynthesis (no phytotoxic effects)
- No interference with gibberellins biosynthesis: absence of stunting effects
- No interference with phytosterols biosynthesis: absence of phytotoxic effects
It is important for farmers to be aware that fungicides are known to cause possible developments of resistance when continually used thus the need for farmers to use fungicides with different modes of actions. Products such as Cyflamid 5EW and Domark 40EW can be used for the rotation spray program.
As new trends emerge, Kenyan flower growers in the future will have to innovate continuously in order to remain competitive, the farmers will need to respond to the permanent pressure on margins, professionalism, increase demand and face growers in countries abroad with excellent farming techniques. Amiran is one input supplier that is increasing partnerships and always carrying out research and investigations on the new, easy and highly effective farming methods that will enable farms to increase their yield while making their farming an enjoyable experience, priding itself in helping Kenyan flower growers remain the leaders in the world flower markets.
For more information
T: +254 0719 095 000