- Managing Director, UK
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
Top 5 -yesterday
- Marketing trends for 2023 your organization should consider
- "Increasing demand for coco substrate and sustainable cultivation systems with circular fertilizers"
- “A pot rose with an X-factor”
- Midstream Lighting completes acquisition of Hyperion Grow
- Special Year Overview 2022: Some award-winning rose varieties!
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Patterned sticky roll captures 450% more thrips
Most recently, results have been gathered on the effectiveness of Optiroll Super at protecting Carnation and Rose flowers in Ecuador. Mr Galo Pita V. who has been conducting the trials has found ‘some extremely positive results, with Optiroll Super capturing 450% more thrips than the control. Additionally, the protection was seen to increase substantially as infestation levels increased.’
Furthermore, a second trial in Ecuador measured the capture rate of the trap in flowers of Alpine Delphinium, Green Wicky Sweet William, Statice and Sea Holly growing greenhouses whereby Optiroll Super was found to significantly suppress insect populations when compared to a conventional chemical application. Mr Pita V. stated that ‘the traps act as a barriers to the relocation of the thrips, to reduce the opportunity for migration and mating which ultimately reduces the population and spread of the fly and of course this works to protect the flowers from damage.’
In favourable conditions such as those within greenhouses, where environmental factors are carefully controlled, the traps can last up to 12 weeks. In outdoor farms the traps were found to last between 8-12 weeks, which in combination with a high catch rate makes Optiroll Super a highly competitive solution.
Russell IPM stated that as this trial was conducted in a highly temperate region where thrips are more active and more likely to leave the host to find further food sources, they look forward to undertaking additional testing for blue Optiroll Super in cooler climes to see if the success is mirrored or if it is environment dependent.
Finally, Optiroll Super is a safe and non-toxic solution to the management of thrip pests. Installation of the sticky roll will reduce the necessity of pesticide spraying and subsequent negative effects to natural enemies providing a safe and sustainable solution to thrip management.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Mealybug Management: how to manage this pest
- 2022-11-24 "Start early with crop protection against root diseases"
- 2022-11-23 US (FL): Banker plants effective for managing thrips on roses
- 2022-11-21 US (OR): New Extension website helps solve pest and disease problems
- 2022-11-10 No crop in the greenhouse? Keep monitoring!
- 2022-11-10 "Air pollution threatens natural pest control"
- 2022-11-09 UV light trap catches male and female tomato looper
- 2022-11-08 Spotted lanternflies, a new invasive species, poses threat to Bloomington businesses and agriculture
- 2022-11-07 Colored sticky traps for monitoring phytophagous thrips and their impact on beneficial insects
- 2022-11-07 Asperello gains approval in Denmark and Morocco
- 2022-11-03 Crop protection innovations: Who will give the final push in the right direction?
- 2022-11-02 Phytophagous mites and their management on ornamental plants
- 2022-11-01 November pest of the month: whiteflies
- 2022-11-01 Australia: two pest alerts issued
- 2022-10-26 Predatory stink bug vs. southern green stink bug
- 2022-10-26 Hawai: Advancements in drone technology aid in rescuing rare cliff-dwelling plants
- 2022-10-25 UK: revised policy to release beneficial insects into protected structures
- 2022-10-20 AgBiome receives approval for new fungicide
- 2022-10-19 "Each insect has its own odor, and the dogs will always notice"
- 2022-10-19 “Company clothing is part of the operation in terms of hygiene, appearance, and comfort”