- Executive Director, Stakeholder Relations & Industry Growth - Canada
- Marketing Manager - Chicago IL
- Grower and Project Planner Vertical Farming - Aarhus - Denmark
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America, Argentina, Ecuador, Columbia
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Medewerker Productmanagement
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Raphael Mulinge and Irene Njeru, Mzurrie Flowers:
Kenya: New 10 ha farm for Mzurrie Flowers
The plastic Hanuel greenhouse is being manufactured by Agrigreen. "The speed of assembling the greenhouses is faster than normal," says Raphael Mulinge General Manager Winchester Farm.
Planting already started
Currently, the new farm which is located in Bahati is under construction with each greenhouse being of 1 ha size. Eight greenhouses have already been constructed with 2 ha having been planted already. "In February 2016, we hope to have full production for the 10 ha. And when there is a good demand for the products from this farm, we have the possibility to gradually expand it to 30 ha or even more," says Raphael.
Amiran Kenya supplies the greenhouses. "The funnel for water harvesting is very advanced," says Raphael.
Four farms in total
The new farm will be the fourth farm of Mzurrie and is called Winchester Farm Bahati. The three other farms are: Winchester Farm Karen, Maji Mazuri Flowers and Molo River Roses. The Winchester Farm Karen is situated in Karen at an altitude of 1,830 meters with 9 ha under rose production and a propagation unit of 2400m2 producing 3.5 million plants/year. The Maji Mazuri Flowers is situated 50kms west of Eldoret at an altitude of 1950m above sea level with 30 Ha under rose production. The third farm, the Molo River Roses is situated in Kenya’s Rift Valley, 30 kilometers Northwest of Lake Nakuru at an altitude of 1,750 meters with 17.5 ha under rose production with plans of expansion to 27 Ha. At this farm, modern growing techniques including controlling of radiation using light screens and humidity through misters are being utilized.
From left to right: Winchester Farm Ltd, Maji Mazuri Flowers Ltd, Molo River Roses Ltd.
Mzurrie Flowers is constantly looking at ways to conserve the environment better. "In the future we will go further into green energy and waste water treatment," says Raphael.
Mzurrie will showcase their products at the IFTF in Vijfhuizen, the Netherlands, from 4-6 November 2015 and can be visited at stand number C2.16.
For more information
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-18 "Sales worldwide have been increasing. especially in Japan"
- 2022-01-17 FlorAmor adds Clivias to Flandresse
- 2022-01-13 "Overseas expansion is certainly an option"
- 2022-01-07 Breeder Wim Declercq celebrates 40 years at Gediflora
- 2022-01-07 Duynplant and Duijn-Hove to continue together
- 2022-01-06 Ecuador: Greenhouse construction Forever Flowers complete
- 2022-01-04 US (NH): "It does not only supplement our seasonal sales, it also keeps our staff busy and greenhouse full"
- 2021-12-20 A peek behind the scenes at Belgium nursery Plantura
- 2021-12-20 The roots of Colombia’s booming flower and orchid industry
- 2021-12-16 "The customer asks for the same product all year round, so that is what we started to grow"
- 2021-12-14 Ecuador: Greenhouses of new alstroemeria farm taking shape
- 2021-12-13 "In the past, organic production meant you’d lose at least 30% of your production capacity"
- 2021-11-26 Luray grower uses topless high tunnels to feed community year round
- 2021-10-25 AU: How a multigenerational family made a ‘flower change’ to Yass River
- 2021-10-22 US (FL): “We built a new shipping warehouse, improving our efficiency”
- 2021-10-21 "Outdoor growing gets more challenging with climate change"
- 2021-10-18 Mexico: “As a smaller company, we are able to prioritize small breeders and their creations”
- 2021-10-08 NL: "Nursery Gebr. Grootscholten is showing the way"
- 2021-10-08 Sowing seeds of passion: Horticulturist turns childhood hobby into niche business
- 2021-10-08 Vietnam: "We are working on a new platform for Phalaenopis trade"