Plant production is positively blooming at Pinetops Nurseries after the firm moved into new, purpose built facilities heated with the help of a 999kW Binder wood chip boiler, supplied and installed by biomass experts Wood Energy.
Pinetops Nurseries first opened for business in 1959 and is now established as one of the leading producers of pot lilies. The new site near Efford offers greater room for expansion along with modern new facilities including a 2.2ha glasshouse block. In the past the cost of heating the glasshouses for the firm’s autumn poinsettias had limited profitability from the crop, however by expanding production, and replacing gas heating with biomass, the economics of production are expected to be greatly improved.
The 999kW Binder biomass boiler provides base heating for the facility, helping to maintain ideal growing conditions all year round. The boiler features a range of premium features including automated de-ashing, automatic cleaning of the heat exchanger and a speed-control on all fans to minimise electric power consumption. The boiler is designed for around the clock performance, using lambda regulation to achieve outstanding efficacy ratings which can exceed 92%.
As a mark of the high quality, the unit is available with extended 8 or 10 year warranties, helping to maximise returns on the RHI scheme.
Wood Energy supplies chip, pellet and log boiler systems ranging in size from 200kW to 10MW. The company’s team of in-house designers can advise on boiler applications up to 10MW; and skilled commissioning engineers have successfully installed over 120,000kW of renewable heating across more than 500 projects to date - with an after-sales service that ensures both optimum performance throughout the lifetime of a boiler and a guaranteed provision for the non-domestic Renewable Heat Incentive.
For more information
Tel: +44 (0) 845 070 7338
- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
Top 5 - yesterday
- Tagawa Greenhouse rooting cuttings better and faster
- "High demand for our orchids and we see a shift from flowers to flowering plants"
- “Portugal is a small country, but it's the 8th top producer of ornamentals in Europe"
- New dates for World Floral Expo 2023
- NL: Sustainable hydrangea greenhouse opens its doors
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "It extends the shelf life of roses by 50-100%"
- "Entering Europe is a natural next step in our growth"
- Cut flower ocean shipments continue to rise
- “In over 35 years of operations, we’ve seen a lot change in the foliage market”
- Denmark: "Growers see this crisis as an opportunity to improve and be more innovative"
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-24 NL: Sustainable hydrangea greenhouse opens its doors
- 2023-03-23 CosMic Plants minimizes energy consumption with IIVO climate computer
- 2023-03-23 "Galvanized steel roofs of vital importance for clean water"
- 2023-03-23 Aqueous CO2 enrichment – what is it, and how can it help you?
- 2023-03-23 That's one big Ultrafiltration solution
- 2023-03-22 Digital technologies promote flower industry in China’s Yunnan province
- 2023-03-21 Increasing the oxygen levels in irrigation water for a healthier growth
- 2023-03-21 Ridder receives 2023 CEA Center Mission Award
- 2023-03-20 "You want to see how much water is in the tank, not how much isn't"
- 2023-03-20 How growers boost crop yields with greenhouse film EVO AC®
- 2023-03-20 Potted Anthurium in Greenhouse 2030, a whole year without plant protection products
- 2023-03-16 "The system accurately and consistently places interlocking trays on a pallet"
- 2023-03-15 Trial and error in Dutch greenhouse: Can autonomous systems work well together?
- 2023-03-15 A new way of growing with dynamic LEDs
- 2023-03-13 Essential oils prolonged the cut carnation longevity
- 2023-03-09 US (IL): Pennycress crop research continues at Western Illinois University
- 2023-03-09 USAF cavitating ultrasonic transmitters now also available in 115 volts
- 2023-03-09 An Italian innovative system for managing hydroponic crops
- 2023-03-07 Model calculates temperature down to the square centimeter
- 2023-03-03 "Automatic nutrient measurement is ready to be put into practice"