A label holder for extra-large labels. That was the specific request from Wim Kersten of Fruithof Nursery. No problem for Bato. "We’re always happy to develop new products with our customers. We engage in discussion, identify their needs, create a product drawing and then create a prototype or even a sample mould. As soon as every detail is correct, we start production." Now Wim Kersten has a label holder which he can use to attach the extra-large labels with photos firmly to the pot.
Edwin van Dorst and Wim Kester
Open collaboration for innovative label holder
"A good label holder is an important part of the marketing of our products," Wim Kersten says. He is the owner of Fruithof and grows fruit trees and fruit plants for the consumer market. "Our products are purchased very early in the spring and they’re still almost bare then. A beautiful, easily visible label with a big photo triggers the consumer to buy the tree regardless. The old system with a label on a rubber band wasn't enough, because you can't always see it. The same goes for a label that you stick into the soil."
Developing it together
Wim decided to develop a better alternative. "Then you need a partner who knows what you're talking about and who has experience with this sort of product. That's why Bato was a logical choice – and also because we have great contact with salesman Edwin van Dorst." Together, Bato and Fruithof developed the label holder that you clip onto the edge of the pot. "We really researched how high the label holder needs to be, at how many degrees it needs to stand to really catch your eye, and how to make sure that the holder stays clipped onto the thin edge of the pot. And we did all of that for each of the three different pot sizes we use."
In Bato, Wim found a partner who could think along with him in all of these areas. "They also brought their own knowledge to the table: this fits well, we've already tried that, this might be a good solution. And of course they have a great deal of experience with different types of materials, so we now have a holder that's exactly right: not too stiff and not too bendy. With an extra pin to stick into the soil and a closure on the top of the label to stop it from falling out. This open way of working on something together is also reflected in the very reasonable price agreements that we've made. It's really an excellent collaboration, one in which both of us enjoy the benefits."
For more information:
Bato Plastics BV
4762 AH Zevenbergen
Maaike de Lange
T: 0168-331 030
- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
Top 5 - yesterday
- Tagawa Greenhouse rooting cuttings better and faster
- "High demand for our orchids and we see a shift from flowers to flowering plants"
- “Portugal is a small country, but it's the 8th top producer of ornamentals in Europe"
- New dates for World Floral Expo 2023
- NL: Sustainable hydrangea greenhouse opens its doors
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "It extends the shelf life of roses by 50-100%"
- "Entering Europe is a natural next step in our growth"
- Cut flower ocean shipments continue to rise
- “In over 35 years of operations, we’ve seen a lot change in the foliage market”
- Denmark: "Growers see this crisis as an opportunity to improve and be more innovative"
"Important for marketing our products"
Wim Kersten develops label holder for extra large labels
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-07 "Thermal hood extends shelf life and reduces temperature damage along the logistics chain"
- 2023-02-21 "Entering Europe is a natural next step in our growth"
- 2023-02-06 Some popular foliage plants are ethylene sensitive
- 2023-01-30 "100% home compostable bouquets with Eco-Wrap"
- 2023-01-19 "Building a true circular economy"
- 2023-01-11 “2022 has been one of the best years in the company’s history”
- 2022-12-09 US (FL): "This new building enables us to drastically reduce our carbon footprint"
- 2022-10-11 Koen Pack launches sample book with packaging materials
- 2022-10-07 "Bamboo sleeve: functional and less harmful to the environment"
- 2022-10-03 NZ: Biodegradable nursery pots to offer plastic-free alternative
- 2022-09-26 Minneapolis start-up plans win price for compostable flower foam
- 2022-09-07 Macpac showcases new packaging solutions at Four Oaks trade show
- 2022-08-25 UK: Plant packaging manufacturer is exhibiting at the Four Oaks Trade show
- 2022-08-18 How one small change can make a big difference
- 2022-07-18 Modiform is choosing recyclable packs made from 100% recycled materials
- 2022-07-04 Evaluation of post-harvest quality of marigold flowers
- 2022-06-24 “We are filling a need for easy-to-use and sustainable online packaging”
- 2022-06-22 Plastic-free soil degradable seedling pots introduced to Australian market
- 2022-06-15 RipeLocker closes its first multi-unit sales deal with The Queen’s Flowers
- 2022-06-14 Online packaging: Modiform is introducing a new product category