Wafex USA is the sister US trading company of Helix Australia and also distributes Helix Australia waxflower varieties to cut flower wholesalers across North America.
WAFEX USA President Steve Dionne commented on the uptake of Helix Australia varieties in the US market.“At this time of year Australian waxflower faces very strong price competition from large volume waxflower plantings in Peru. The Peruvian plantations operate under a lower labour cost in addition to having access to cheaper freight rates…” said Steve.
Dionne continued, “Despite having to trade at a much higher price point, we have very strong demand for Helix varieties such as Moonlight Delight, Sarah's Delight and My sweet 16. There is clearly a strong market opening for premium niche varieties in the US market.”
Helix Australia currently has a range of trial cut flower/pot plant programmes in place for new varieties of waxflower to be grown in California. This will help create all year availability for discerning florists and home gardeners in America for the Helix Australia range.
For more information
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-20 Scottish parliament hears Environmental Horticulture Growth Strategy
- 2023-03-17 Storm, ToBRFV and hail cause above-average loss figures for horticultural insurance company
- 2023-03-17 "Customers expected to buy almost 1.2 million tulips"
- 2023-03-17 NL: "The tree nursery sector calmed down somewhat in autumn 2022"
- 2023-03-16 Average area of Flemish ornamental crops rises slightly in 2021
- 2023-03-16 Shipping lines refusing to cut capacity in price war
- 2023-03-15 India: New Delhi Municipal Council to start local cultivation of tulips for spring festival
- 2023-03-15 FPC Tulp discovers market in Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna together with Royal FloraHolland
- 2023-03-15 China: New-generation of growers return to their hometowns to launch horti businesses - successfully
- 2023-03-15 India: Sangrur flower growers seek government assistance
- 2023-03-14 UK: Aldi scales up Fairtrade flower-worker scheme
- 2023-03-13 Serbian roses on the rise in the EU market
- 2023-03-10 "Women's Day remains top day for the flower trade"
- 2023-03-10 Romania's flower market set for record sales over March 1-8
- 2023-03-10 Report Cut flower production sub-sector in Armenia
- 2023-03-09 Azerbaijan is one of main flower-exporting countries to Russia
- 2023-03-09 "Unhealthy and low-productivity firms benefited the most from Covid support"
- 2023-03-08 Women's Day around the world
- 2023-03-08 "Mimosa production lower, prices higher"
- 2023-03-07 Russia: Inspectors surveyed a greenhouse growing tulips in permafrost conditions