- Executive Director, Stakeholder Relations & Industry Growth - Canada
- Marketing Manager - Chicago IL
- Grower and Project Planner Vertical Farming - Aarhus - Denmark
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America, Argentina, Ecuador, Columbia
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Specialist Kwekersrecht en Merkenrecht
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
Top 5 -yesterday
- "This strategic partner powerfully strengthens our logistics capability"
- Rare plants accidentally sold at Lidl and B&Q being listed online for thousands
- Syngenta Crop Protection acquires two bioinsecticides from UK developer
- PanAmerican Seed continues charitable give-back
- CAN: Trucker shortages increase
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Japan: Growing for domestic market, breeding for international market
Kentaro Manabe of Japan Plants Patent Corporation (JPP Japan).
A company that is supporting the Japanese breeders in exporting their new plant varieties is Japan Plants Patent Corporation (JPP). In a presentation, which was held today at the IFEX in Japan, Tokyo, Brian Upchurch of JPP North America explained that they can support breeders in successfully introducing a new plant variety into a different market. Not only introducing Japanese varieties in other countries, but also the other way around; introducing varieties from North America and Europe, for example, into Japan.
Presentation held at the IFEX in Japan.
JPP conducts market assessments of the new genetics. They investigate whether the product fits the market and the customers' needs. Then they also import and export the new genetics and conduct some evaluation trials. In these trails, the new genetics are put in the new environment. Then it can be evaluated how the plant behaves in that different environment. Besides that, they account for the legal production of patents and trademarks. "In this way, the breeder and nursery are protected. So, there will be no unfair competition as we can control the market a bit by offering this service," explains Brian Upchurch.
After this, the product can be cultivated by growers abroad, which are also introduced to the breeders by JPP. During cultivation, JPP keeps an eye on the cultivation process. "During the propagation, growing, pruning and so on, growers can come across challenges and may have questions. We help them to overcome these challenges and answer their questions," says Brian. In the meantime, JPP does the marketing of the product and manages the introduction.
During the presentation, they gave some examples of new Japanese varieties that are introduced in North America and some examples of North American plants that are introduced in Japan.
For more information
Plants Patent Corporation (JPP Japan)
JPP North America
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-25 A tour through Deliflor's trial garden
- 2022-01-21 All-America Selections presents new regional winners for 2022
- 2022-01-21 Kenya: A peek into United Selections open days
- 2022-01-19 Torenia Vertigo; starting 2022 with a win
- 2022-01-18 What's in a peony name: Sarah Bernhardt, Alexander Fleming and Shirley Temple
- 2022-01-17 Outdoor cyclamen bred for the hot and dry Mediterranean climates
- 2022-01-13 Australia: Iconic flower's genetic puzzle revealed
- 2022-01-13 Six new AAS national winners for 2022
- 2022-01-11 Three new videos present Lazzeri's poinsettia 2022 assortment
- 2022-01-10 Taiwan: New orchid variety bred for ease of cultivation
- 2022-01-10 Suñorita rose garners American Rose Society’s Award of Excellence
- 2022-01-07 Beekenkamp Plants introduces superstar 'Kayla Red' in new poinsettia catalogue
- 2022-01-07 Gene discovered crucial to making crop plants produce clonal seeds
- 2022-01-05 "Why are we breeding such ugly flowers?"
- 2021-12-24 Kenya: Roses and alstroemerias on display at open days United Selections
- 2021-12-23 Growth and physiological responses of seagrape seedlings to salt stress
- 2021-12-17 'A lovely, rare, and updated version of our popular Pulmonaria ‘Raspberry Splash’'
- 2021-12-17 Proven Winners Calycanthus earns Green Thumb Award
- 2021-12-16 “Danziger’s approach to innovation is in the breeding"
- 2021-12-14 “Relocating our breeding from the US to Ecuador has greatly benefited our customers”