- Heat is transferred from the hot water pipe to an object; this type of heat transfer is considered radiant heat.
- This type of heating systems uses a boiler to heat water or to produce steam.
- Boilers can burn fuels like natural gas, wood, coal or fuel oil.
- Hot water systems are more efficient than steam systems.
- One by-product of the boiler is CO2. This gas can be trapped and delivered into the greenhouse to help the plants in the photosynthesis process.
- This system is recommended for large operations due to high installation and hardware cost.
- The warm water or steam has to be transported in pipes throughout the greenhouse.
- The efficiency can be higher than the use of forced air heater units because the greenhouse is heated uniformly; there is little need for ventilation.
- The pipes can be placed around the inside perimeter of the greenhouse in the case of a single-span greenhouse. For a gutter connected greenhouse, it is recommended to install pipes close to the gutters (to melt ice) and/or under growing benches.
- The water temperature for overhead systems can be up to 200˚F (94˚C) while the water under the benches can be up to 104˚F (40˚C).
- Floor heating is another method to heat the greenhouse with hot water. With this method, pipes are placed in the ground under a layer of concrete, gravel, sand or soil. Heating pipes form loops around the entire surface of the greenhouse. The water temperature can be up to 104˚F (40˚C).
- These systems require time to reach the desired temperature; similarly, it will take time to decrease the temperature.
- In greenhouses dedicated to vegetable production, two pipes carrying hot water are placed in the ground, parallel to the rows and between the rows. These pipes serve to heat the greenhouse and look like train rails. Trolleys can be used on these rails to transport produce, support equipment to spray plants or support equipment for people to work on plants.
- Another option for vegetable production is to place polyethylene pipes with warm water in close proximity to the plants.
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
- Sales Manager Citrus
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “With this sheet we are seeing an extra 4-6 days of healthier flowers”
- Impression Naivasha Horticultural Fair
- "Cuttings and young plants from locations within Europe are more in demand than ever"
- Dutch Gerbera grower declared bankruptcy
- “Tillandsias are amazing living sculptures, used in the most various ways”
Top 5 -last month
Pointers on greenhouse heating and energy conservation
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-27 CHP systems offer growers more flexibility
- 2022-09-27 RAYN software available for growers' computers to control crop illumination
- 2022-09-23 White LEDs: a cost-effective alternative to red and far-red LEDs
- 2022-09-22 "In Belgium, the greenhouse sector is bearing the brunt of the energy crisis"
- 2022-09-21 Cultivation-oriented climate for carnations through Climalux LED grow light system
- 2022-09-19 Circulation fans for a uniform temperature for potted roses
- 2022-09-16 Quarter of energy-intensive Dutch companies in red figures
- 2022-09-15 The Netherlands could, if needed, gradually shut the gas off
- 2022-09-14 Using coatings to save energy
- 2022-09-13 Call to return to oil-heated greenhouses in Belgium
- 2022-09-12 Cavity screen saves energy without major system modifications
- 2022-09-07 Changing abstraction licenses into permits – NFU response
- 2022-09-07 Mobile calculation container replaces boiler for greenhouse heating: 30% reduction in gas consumption
- 2022-09-05 Energy crisis empties Dutch greenhouses
- 2022-08-31 "The energy situation really worries us as a small nursery"
- 2022-08-22 Flower farm receives federal funding for geothermal conversion
- 2022-07-21 Energy crisis: anticipating with algorithms
- 2022-07-06 NZ: growers turn off the heat as coal and gas prices soar
- 2022-06-29 Dynamic Lighting for business adaptation and plant growth
- 2022-06-27 Two new screens thanks to weaving technology