- Production Director Phalaenopsis - Taiwan
- Flower Grower - Canada
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- (Junior) Account Manager France
- Installation Support Engineer (Supervisor)
- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
- Dutch young plant producer Plantise quits
- Royal Van Zanten takes over activities of Armada Breeding
- US (MN): Volunteers help at Lynde Greenhouse after massive fire
- Comparing the benefits of white and black groundcover in hot climate environments
- Zendaya Anthurium dress helps the flower grow in popularity
Top 5 -last week
- ‘Global floral trends and the strategy of Japan’
- 'Greenhouse with future' opened by HilverdaFlorist
- LA based company, Verona Roses, shakes up the market for preserved flowers and personalization
- Acrotelm and wood fiber as alternative to peat
- Tangchao – Activities at Benary's fourth breeding center moving fast in China
Top 5 -last month
Juan Carlos Cevallos, Galapagos Flores:
"Date Valentine's Day not expected to affect supermarket flower sales"
Juan Carlos Cevallos at the IFTF in Vijfhuizen, Ecuador.
No drop in supermarket flower sales
Flower sales are often lower when Valentine's Day is on a weekend. However, this does not seem to count for Galapagos Flores. According to Cevallos, this is because they supply mostly supermarkets. "We have been in the flower business for more than 30 years now, so we've experienced several of these Valentine's Days on the weekend. Of course, historically speaking, total sales of Valentine's Day flowers are a bit lower these days. However, this mostly counts for wholesalers and flower shops, we've never experienced a drop in sales during this time." According to him, the supermarket flower sales might be even higher on such a day as most of the supermarket flower bouquet sales are impulse purchases. "Lovers often have other events planned on the weekend to celebrate this day. So, when visiting the supermarket, before going out they mostly impulsively grab a bouquet of flowers," says Cevallos.
Expensive bouquets to impress
Besides that, according to Cevallos, Valentine's Day flower arrangements are not only bought to express your feelings to loved ones but also to impress the surrounding people. "Often, people buy an expensive flower arrangement bouquet from the flower shop to impress colleagues and friends of their loved ones. However, as Valentine's Day 2016 will be on a Sunday, there will be no colleagues and/ or friends around. This combined with the fact that many lovers are spending more money on going out at the weekend, a supermarket bouquet of roses will often suffice," says Cevallos.
Galapagos Flores grows 80 rose varieties in 8 ha of greenhouses in the Tabacundo Region in Ecuador. Their flowers are distributed to more than 15 countries worldwide "Our sales are divided 50% to the European market, 30% to the American market, and 20% to Russia and Ukraine," explains Cevallos.
For more information
Juan Carlos Cevallos
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-30 Podcast: Building a home-based cut flower business
- 2022-09-12 Marjoland Experience: "Connect with the customer, now more than ever"
- 2022-08-24 "The end product must be perfect and cultivation should remain profitable"
- 2022-08-12 US (OH): Red Twig farm focuses on quality vs. quantity
- 2022-08-11 “European market hungry for newer waxflower varieties”
- 2022-08-10 Lüers GmbH & Co.KG open house in full swing
- 2022-07-21 "Godlen Pond: Innovative packaging can lead to better floral branding"
- 2022-07-19 Guntur farmer uses drones to boost his Floriculture yield
- 2022-07-19 Tribute to Santosh Mhaske, Pune's top floral designer
- 2022-07-08 Grant Kees to join BioSafe horti division in Alabama and Florida
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones