- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
- Business Developer – High Tech Horticulture
- Operations Manager Organic Farm Barka Oman
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Esmeralda Farms acquires Sande Flowers
- "Resilience as in going back to the past is not always better”
- “The ornamentals industry in the Philippines is flourishing"
- "Growers and traders know the old assortment but are only moderately aware of the new varieties"
- Sensors on flowers prove that nano-fertilizers help to save energy resources
Top 5 -last month
"Innovation and presentation is key factor in a niche market"
Dutch grower Bert Schouten: 36,000 m2 with Aeschynanthus
Schouten started his floral carrier after taking over a 10,000 m2 Gerbera nursery, 20 years ago. He quickly transformed this nursery into an Aeschynanthus nursery in 1992. Over the last few years, the company kept expanding and grew different kinds of plants, including Aeschynanthus. In 2011 he decided to solely focus on one plant and currently Schouten owns a successful 36,000 m2 sized Aeschynanthus nursery in the Netherlands.
Click here to watch the company movie.
In order to stay successful in a niche market, innovation and presentation of the product is crucial, explains Schouten. Due to the fact that an Aeschynanthus is a niche product, it is important to differentiate it from other plants. Therefore, in 2001 they started propagating and breeding their own species. Currently, they own a plant variety of over 6 Aeschynanthus species and they are trying to come up with 1 or 2 new species, every year.
By anticipating the Dutch market, Schouten noticed a decrease in consumer interest towards hanging plants. "Hanging plants are for hanging plant lovers or for the older generation," says Schouten. In order to make the plant more attractive for a broader audience, he introduced a high vase that makes the plant "ready to use".
Next to innovation, presentation is very important says Bert. "People need to be aware of your existence and especially when operating in a niche market you have to present yourself." Bert Schouten Kwekerij does this in two ways; attending trade shows and investing in consumer promotion. The latter form is done by television promotion; the products are recommended in Dutch home decoration programmes. "It increases the popularity of the product and consequently the demand for the product." Next year, similar promotion activities will be held on German television.
For more information
Bert Schouten Kwekerij
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."
- 2022-05-05 Vista florist Dos Gringos finds a place in the sun
- 2022-04-29 US (MI): Hall's greenhouse turns 70
- 2022-04-28 Peek inside some of Denmark's major floriculture production companies
- 2022-04-28 A week at The Shropshire Flower Company
- 2022-04-28 UK: Orchid merchant retires over post-Brexit red tape wrangle
- 2022-04-27 UK: "The demand for rosemary and lavender is very strong"
- 2022-04-21 "We want to further consolidate our position in the EU-market"
- 2022-04-20 Ecuador's largest premium rose grower starts growing ranunculus
- 2022-04-19 In memoriam: Rick Donnan
- 2022-04-13 "People are amazed by the variety of flowers that are grown on US soil"
- 2022-04-11 Young farmers focus: Rhiannon Clarke
- 2022-04-08 A lot of interest in Stars-Plant flowering trial
- 2022-04-04 Niels Kreuk: "Constantly learning is part of our flexible way of operating"
- 2022-03-25 Moss Greenhouses celebrates 70 years of ownership, "it's a big dill"
- 2022-03-24 "Always offering the fastest, best and highest service to every florist in Europe"