- Head of Sales
- Medewerker Productmanagement
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
- Sales Person
Top 5 -yesterday
- Outdoor cyclamen bred for the hot and dry Mediterranean climates
- How to use 2021 Valentine's Day to plan your 2022 sales
- Peter Seabrook, BBC Gardeners' World star dies aged 86
- NL: Record turnover of €7.3 billion for flower and plant exports in 2021
- “With everyone facing obstacles, we're thrilled our 2021 holiday season went so well"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Sachin Appachu, Bliss Flora:
"Kenya: "Auction prices almost similar to Valentine's Day"
Sachin Appachu in the greenhouse.
Appachu is very pleased with the prices that he is receiving for his roses at the moment. "Over the last two weeks we received good prices at the auction in the Netherlands. This Monday and Tuesday for example, the prices were about 23 percent higher compared to last year. Almost the same level of Valentine's Day last year! Today, the prices are a bit lower, like 10 to 15 percent. All the wholesalers probably have already bought their flowers for the upcoming Mother's Days. But all in all, we are not complaining", he says.
Besides the Mother's Days, also the heavy rains contributed to the higher prices at the auction. "Here in Kenya, we are dealing with a lot of rainfall. Therefore, the production volumes of many farmers dropped by around 30 percent. Moreover, the rains also increased the occurrence of diseases like botrytis and downy mildew. For this reason, many growers were not able to export everything. Fortunately, our farm has not yet been hit by any of these diseases", he says.
Unexpected demand for Ocean Song
According to Appachu, all varieties are doing well. However, there is one variety that stands out; the Ocean Song. This lilac rose variety, bred by Rosen Tantau, increased drastically in price. ''Last year, we received like 30 cents per stem and this year 70! We are quite surprised as we never received such a high price for this variety. Last year, we even decided to decrease the cultivation acreage of this flower from 2,5 to 1,5 ha, because of the price. And now it is booming and we are regretting this decision", he says. However, the reason for this high popularity is still unclear. "I hear from more Kenyan Ocean Song growers that the prices are good. Maybe it is a trend to use this color in weddings in Europe? We do not know."
For more information
Bliss Flora Ltd
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-17 CAN: Growers cry foul as health unit halts inflow of temporary foreign workers
- 2022-01-17 Brexit puts spring in step of Irish daffodil farmers
- 2022-01-17 Scottish farmers urged to complete seasonal labor survey
- 2022-01-17 How to use 2021 Valentine's Day to plan your 2022 sales
- 2022-01-17 "All signs are on green for this Tulip season"
- 2022-01-17 Thousands flock to popular HK flower market as Lunar New Year fairs are canceled
- 2022-01-17 Peter Seabrook, BBC Gardeners' World star dies aged 86
- 2022-01-17 NL: Record turnover of €7.3 billion for flower and plant exports in 2021
- 2022-01-14 Millennials bring confidence, creativity and cash to gardening
- 2022-01-14 A mixed bouquet of developments in floriculture: world floriculture map 2021
- 2022-01-14 UK: A prosperous year for horticulture in 2021 sets the scene for growth in 2022
- 2022-01-14 SAF launches Valentine's Day resources
- 2022-01-13 “What were the top plants sold last year?”
- 2022-01-12 Ausberry Farmers loses 60% of orders due to supermarket staff shortages
- 2022-01-12 "We expect M&A activity in 2022 to be just as strong, or even stronger.”
- 2022-01-12 Franklin County growers are facing challenges and bracing for the season
- 2022-01-12 UK: Prime Minister congratulates MPs on efforts to secure labor for Cornish daffodil farms
- 2022-01-12 18 percent rise in product sales over 2021 at Rhein-Maas Auction
- 2022-01-12 China: Taiping Property & Casualty Insurance helps Yunnan to build a unique flower industry
- 2022-01-11 Plants Without Borders offers access to supply of plants in Southeast Asia And South America