- Packing Supervisor
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Cultivating tree seedlings in a container
The trays in which the seedlings are being cultivated are moving. "This progresses the growth", says biologist Rosaria Santa Maria. "We have several sensors, both in containers and in the growth chamber. These sensors measure the temperature, the humidity and the carbon dioxide. With the computer software we can control the rotational speed in the growth chamber and move the robot. "
The robot is equipped with optical sensors and a camera. So, the researchers can check the growth and health of the small trees easily and at any time. The LED lights provide a day and night cycle in the chamber. "Before we built the growth chamber, we have explored the conditions under which the plants grow best: The ideal temperature and humidity, as well as how much sunlight the trees require", explains biologist Tatiana Marras.
The prototype can be moved easily and the 20 solar panels provide the chamber with energy. Thus, it can also be placed in isolated regions where certain trees are needed for reforestation. Bartolomeo Schirone, dendrologist and coordinator of the project, explains: "Each plant has its own genome. Spanish cork, for example, differs from Italian or French cork. With this prototype, we can grow seedlings and plant them anywhere without risking genetic contamination in any country."
The first growth chambers could come on the market in about six years.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-31 Türkiye exported 145 million USD worth of flowers and plants in 2022
- 2023-01-30 CAN (ON): University of Guelph research makes growing greenhouse industry more efficient
- 2023-01-30 Use of biological control still increasing in Dutch greenhouse
- 2023-01-27 US (NC): Bringing people and plants together: A tour of the Duke Greenhouse
- 2023-01-19 Sculptural greenhouse opens up into a crown
- 2023-01-18 Winter tunnel temperature management
- 2023-01-13 Improving plant production efficiency in controlled environments
- 2023-01-12 US (MI): Keit's Greenhouse in Bay City closing after 167 years of business
- 2023-01-09 Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- 2023-01-09 US (PA): Beloved greenhouse shuts its doors after 50 years in business
- 2023-01-05 AR glass easy to clean, researchers conclude
- 2023-01-04 Türkiye: A “Smart Garden” system has been developed to grow 105 different plants without soil or sunlight
- 2023-01-03 Happy new year! LED lights instead of fireworks
- 2022-12-23 Ranking greenhouse floors, what is the best for your plants?
- 2022-12-20 Florists kept the prices at the same level for Teacher’s Day in Türkiye
- 2022-12-15 New chairman of Turkish greenhouse association looks ahead with roadmap
- 2022-12-12 Why retro-fitting new materials in a glasshouse can reduce energy use and costs
- 2022-12-08 Arboretum installs quarantine house and filtered rainwater system to further sustainability efforts
- 2022-12-05 US (KY): Hendon's Garden Center grows year-round with a Growspan greenhouse
- 2022-12-01 Understanding basic principles of lighting and its effect on flower crops