Pets and holiday plant myths

Some holiday plants get a bad rap that’s not their fault. While these plants aren’t good for your pets to ingest, the good news is that they’re also not as dangerous you might believe. Costa Farms made a list of 'holiday plants' that cause more worry than they warrant.




Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima): Perhaps the most common holiday plant around, poinsettias are native to Mexico and instantly add holiday appeal to your home. It is also one of the most widely misunderstood plants. Poinsettia has been labeled as toxic as far back as 1919, even though it’s not true. The plant got a bad reputation from a rumor that started when an army officer’s two-year old child died from allegedly eating a poinsettia leaf. The rumor was never confirmed. Scientific studies show that a 50-pound child would need to eat more than 500 poinsettia leaves before reaching a potentially toxic dose. If poinsettia leaves are consumed by a dog or a cat, the most common clinical signs reported are mild upset stomach and mild nausea, drooling, and/or vomiting. These signs will usually correct themselves without treatment and will develop within two hours after the exposure.

Click here to read the complete article at www.costafarms.com


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber