- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Prolonged stigma and flower lifespan in Geranium sylvaticum
A mechanism potentially causing a female advantage that is rarely discussed is a difference in floral longevity between the genders. Females may have a longer stigma lifespan than hermaphrodites, which can affect pollination. Stigma and flower lifespan are rarely documented in gynodioecious species, although it is a common observation in dioecious species that female plants flower longer than males.
A new study focuses on the stigma and flower lifespan of gynodioecious Geranium sylvaticum, which could potentially contribute to the female advantage observed in this and other closely related species. The authors measured the stigma and flower lifespan in unpollinated flowers of female, hermaphrodite and plants with an intermediate gender expression. The results show that stigma lifespan is almost twice as long in females as in hermaphrodites and intermediate plants. Also flower lifespan is longest in females.
They discuss the potential mechanisms through which an increased floral lifespan can lead to a female advantage despite the generally lower pollinator visitation rates observed in females by reviewing available studies. The study shows that increased floral persistence in females can be an important aspect in the maintenance of females in gynodioecious plants and should be taken into account as a potential proximate cause for a female advantage.
Click here to access the study.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-24 Lesson from masterclass: Crop lighting doesn't always work
- 2023-01-20 AirBlow system blows air into the floor, increasing efficiency of underfloor heating
- 2023-01-17 "Uniform lighting is essential for growing a consistent crop"
- 2023-01-13 Dutch orchid grower replaces SON-T with LEDs
- 2023-01-12 System gives roots extra oxygen: "It's actually a small water purification system"
- 2023-01-02 Towards smarter sustainable plant health choices in resources and technology
- 2022-12-23 "Even during the pandemic, the market demand for dataloggers has not declined"
- 2022-12-22 "Autonomous farm is just over the horizon"
- 2022-12-20 Is a fan without a wire guard more energy efficient?
- 2022-12-19 Natural, plant-based air purifiers? This bioengineered houseplant can clean pollutants from the air
- 2022-12-16 How developed is automation in greenhouse horticulture?
- 2022-12-14 "5 benefits of data-driven growing for high-tech greenhouse"
- 2022-12-09 How growers are gaining the advantage by adopting SaaS technology
- 2022-12-08 Midstream Lighting completes acquisition of Hyperion Grow
- 2022-12-06 Photonics can help horticulture to measure faster and more reliably
- 2022-12-02 Dutch software company ALFA PRO joins Total Specific Solutions
- 2022-11-30 Now also weather data in the Irrigation Management App
- 2022-11-24 The hydrophilic character of anticondens improves light incidence
- 2022-11-16 Even more energy saving possible with energy-efficient fan
- 2022-11-11 Finding the balance to improve crop performance maintaining high energy efficiency levels