- Packing Supervisor
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
TTA launches new “Trayscan” app
For decades on end, the plant handling sector has grappled with an intensive use of labour: the bare-handed, naked-eyed counting of germinated seeds. In the sector it is not uncommon for larger companies to have up to four employees counting produce, day in, day out.
“Today’s generation of smartphones and tablets carry extremely advanced cameras for their size,” said Bram Verschoor, Commercial Director at TTA. “Why not make use of the widely available smartphone and tablet technology to automate this counting process, rather than build a heavy-weight, importable machine? We are the industry’s first to launch an app of this kind and by doing so, simplify the counting process while making it more reliable.”
“Ever since we first heard of it, we hailed this innovative idea,” said Rudy Raes, owner at Rudy Raes Bloemzaden in Destelbergen, Belgium. “And our in-company tests have only confirmed our excitement. Our use of the Trayscan app has resulted in enormous reductions of labour.”
The app comes with a wide array of functionalities, two operational modes, and integrates TTA’s extensive experience with the development of vision applications in machinery. In the first mode, the operator enters a grid’s setup – length and width – and based on a picture taken exactly above a tray, the app calculates the tray’s germination rate.
“In the second mode,” Bram explained, “the operator sets out with a picture of a tray regardless of the angle from which it was taken. The app lets you correct for a picture’s mistaken angle with four simple clicks on the corners of the tray. Based on colour and pixel preferences, the app calculates a germination percentage. And thanks to the ability to adjust the colour intensity threshold used to assess germination, the app distinguishes between algae and actually germinated seeds.”
Capitalising on the sector’s use of barcodes and QR codes, the app is also able to scan a bar- or QR code, and tie all related information to this code. When finished, the information collected for a particular code can be shared as Excel spreadsheet that includes colour settings, pixel settings, and germination rates.
The Trayscan app is available on Google Play today. Click here to download it.
For more information:
Tuinbouw Technisch Atelier
Van Beukelaarweg 45
2971 VL Bleskensgraaf
Tel: +31 (0) 184 69 11 05
Fax: +31 (0) 184 69 11 07
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-24 Lesson from masterclass: Crop lighting doesn't always work
- 2023-01-20 AirBlow system blows air into the floor, increasing efficiency of underfloor heating
- 2023-01-17 "Uniform lighting is essential for growing a consistent crop"
- 2023-01-13 Dutch orchid grower replaces SON-T with LEDs
- 2023-01-12 System gives roots extra oxygen: "It's actually a small water purification system"
- 2023-01-02 Towards smarter sustainable plant health choices in resources and technology
- 2022-12-23 "Even during the pandemic, the market demand for dataloggers has not declined"
- 2022-12-22 "Autonomous farm is just over the horizon"
- 2022-12-20 Is a fan without a wire guard more energy efficient?
- 2022-12-19 Natural, plant-based air purifiers? This bioengineered houseplant can clean pollutants from the air
- 2022-12-16 How developed is automation in greenhouse horticulture?
- 2022-12-14 "5 benefits of data-driven growing for high-tech greenhouse"
- 2022-12-09 How growers are gaining the advantage by adopting SaaS technology
- 2022-12-08 Midstream Lighting completes acquisition of Hyperion Grow
- 2022-12-06 Photonics can help horticulture to measure faster and more reliably
- 2022-12-02 Dutch software company ALFA PRO joins Total Specific Solutions
- 2022-11-30 Now also weather data in the Irrigation Management App
- 2022-11-24 The hydrophilic character of anticondens improves light incidence
- 2022-11-16 Even more energy saving possible with energy-efficient fan
- 2022-11-11 Finding the balance to improve crop performance maintaining high energy efficiency levels