- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Our goal is to fully automate horticulture, thereby unburdening growers"
- US (WA): After 48 years of brightening area gardens, Roozen’s Nursery has closed
- "The sensors of 30MHz are indispensable items in every grower’s toolbox"
- Flower distributor plans to build facility in Port St. Lucie and create 210 jobs
- US (OH): Ready for Cultivate'22?
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Many invest in Reverse Osmosis and Ultra-Filtration
Kenya: Drought forces growers to save water
Jochum Genuit at the IFTEX 2017 in Nairobi, Kenya.
Kenyan growers had to deal with some very dry months this year and as a result, the availability of water became a problem for many growers. "After watering the plants, the water left was usually thrown away as it contains too many 'problems' like bacteria, viruses, nematodes and fungi. However, by using this water only once, fertilizers and other good components are unnecessarily being abandoned too", explains Genuit.
For over 40 years, Mienis Water has been creating membrane systems that can clean the water and treat it in such a way that they can remove the 'problems' out of the water while maintaining the good components.
What to do with it after drought
But what is the purpose of a RO or UF system when there is no drought anymore? "Improving the crop health and productivity", answers Genuit without any doubt. "Initially, this was the reason we created the first OR system over 45 years ago. At this time, surface water was not good enough anymore among Dutch growers. The salinity of the water was increasing and several elements were slowing down the growth of the crop. Only two water sources seem good enough to solve that problem; rainwater and Reverse Osmosis (RO) water. These water types are so clean that farmers could benefit from a better production and a higher quality."
Investment and payback period
Installing a membrane system is a big investment, but according to Genuit the payback period is relatively short. "Recently, we installed an RO system at a Kenyan flower grower who used to throw away 400 m3 of water. The owner calculated that the payback period would be around 8 months", says Genuit.
For more information
Email: Jochum@mienis-water.nl / firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-21 Why more growers are choosing polycarbonate panels
- 2022-06-17 Grow lights for herbs: which option to choose
- 2022-06-17 How agritech startup Ecozen helps farmers grow with its solar products
- 2022-06-15 Caterpillar control with insect filter system at Florein Gerbera's
- 2022-05-27 Making LEDs and lower energy costs accessible to HPS-growers
- 2022-05-26 Experimental study reveals impact of light spectrum on plant growth
- 2022-05-23 “Recycling of nutrient solutions leads to important savings”
- 2022-05-23 24/7 virtual scouts equipped with computer vision to identify pathogens and pests
- 2022-05-20 Coating with a helicopter
- 2022-05-19 Water treatment with nanobubbles leads to decreased losses in gerbera cultivation
- 2022-05-17 OptiBoost sees commercial breakthrough in retail, taking technology worldwide
- 2022-05-05 Improving growers' understanding of their irrigation water
- 2022-05-04 Ultrafiltration for closed cultivation, but what is ultrafiltration anyway?
- 2022-04-29 "I am convinced we all have to go in this direction in horticulture”
- 2022-04-27 "We use less heating compared to the HPS side of the greenhouse"
- 2022-04-26 "Investment in autonomous drones contributes to the digitization of greenhouses"
- 2022-04-21 SunPlus horticulture portfolio grows with the addition of deep-red
- 2022-04-21 "Chinese horticulture much more than production only"
- 2022-04-19 NL: Upgraded aerial work platform can get to work again
- 2022-04-15 Floricultural wholesalers choose to rent electric tow tractors from Steenks Service