- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Senior Grower
Top 5 - yesterday
- “With our placement in Türkiye, we have easy access to the rest of the world”
- Dutch growers lose faith
- Australia: Ball Mother-stock House meets growing demands
- "When buying our products, not only the rose production will be supported, also the well-being of rescued wildlife"
- "New substrate fiber fits into the future of cultivation"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
Erik Gommers, Gommers Hortensia
"Specialists can differentiate themselves with hydrangea"
‘I became a grower because I love flowers and plants and have a feel for them. I have an enormous passion for the product, but that’s not enough nowadays.’ Erik Gommers, owner, talks enthusiastically about his son-in-law who will be joining him in the business from August. ‘Let the young generation join in!’
This Preferred Supplier’s enthusiasm is one of the key reasons why FleuraMetz is collaborating with Gommers Hortensia. John Diemeer, buyer at FleuraMetz: ‘We don’t just get cut hydrangeas all the way from Sprang-Capelle for the sake of it. Gommers Hortensia really wants to work in partnership. You achieve more together. Erik really believes in that!’
Growing hydrangeas is specialist work. And not just in the cultivation; ensuring a good vase life also requires more knowledge than just trimming the stems diagonally. This may be one of the reasons why the flower has not yet broken through to the mass market in the supermarket sector. Erik: ‘Hydrangeas are one of the few flowers with which specialists can still really differentiate themselves. Most consumers don’t know that when a hydrangea is drooping, you should trim it a bit higher up. If you then place it in tepid water, it will revive completely. Only a specialist florist can give them this tip.’
For more information on Gommers Hortensia, click here
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-01 "When buying our products, not only the rose production will be supported, also the well-being of rescued wildlife"
- 2023-06-01 “With our placement in Türkiye, we have easy access to the rest of the world”
- 2023-06-01 Buying an established farm, expanding a market for luxury flower, and scale up for future growth
- 2023-05-31 Women transform their horizons in rural Morocco
- 2023-05-31 CAN (SK): “The flowers take a long time to start growing but it is worth it because they are so beautiful”
- 2023-05-30 Europe: "Demand and potential is there"
- 2023-05-29 Collier’s Greenhouse executive named finalist in National horticulture competition
- 2023-05-29 US (IA): "Florists feel like they're getting old product from the wholesalers"
- 2023-05-26 Ecuador: Rosaprima shares their 2022-2023 Sustainability Report
- 2023-05-26 Tunisian journalist switches to growing edible flowers
- 2023-05-25 Bransford Webbs continually improves water efficiency
- 2023-05-24 UK: St Briavels grower Jo Thompson proves cut above with flowers role in Coronation
- 2023-05-24 Team from Low Fulney’s Opperman Plants head to Chelsea Flower Show
- 2023-05-22 French nursery specialises in plants that taste of cheese or oysters
- 2023-05-22 Isle of Man: Growing beautiful and sustainable cut flowers
- 2023-05-19 Linda Price from Wyveale Nurseries wins competition to name new phormium
- 2023-05-19 US (LA): Curiosity blooms into a flower farm with best bud
- 2023-05-19 Make-upz assortment newest addition to Deroose USA portfolio
- 2023-05-18 NL: Stolk Brothers grow anthuriums peat free
- 2023-05-18 NL: Organic Rose Nursery the Bierkreek decorates The Peace Palace