- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Australian native flowers provide a true seasonality and florists love this variety, variability in supply”
- "Stunning genetics under the tropical sun in Singapore"
- Designed glasshouse unfolds like a flower in just four minutes
- Greenhouse plastic boom blights Vietnam’s vegetable and flower basket
- Plantipp and Concept Plants scoop prizes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Royal Purple and Golden Spirit: a dynamic duo
Royal Purple | Golden Spirit
Cotinus is a summer crop through and through -- they love sun and heat, which is why they grow them at the Willow Creek farm, located 45 minutes inland from the coastal Arcata location. The open-field farm is nestled in a sunny valley which sees 14-15 hours of sunlight and temperatures ranging from 75-90 degrees during the summer -- the ideal environment for these sky-reaching branches.
Willow Creek Farm
They start harvesting around the beginning of June, picking through summertime and into fall. At the end of the season, the plants are pruned down to the ground; they rest through the winter and then begin growing, shooting up to a height of 10+ feet tall.
Avenue of Giant Cotinus
Royal Purple Details
Aside from its great height, Royal Purple Cotinus is known for its brilliant, distinctive color. Its leaves contrast beautifully with itself - the top of each leaf features a burgundy-purple sheen while its underside is silver-green, and the whole leaf is wrought with bright veins and framed with an iridescent edging. This conflagration of color gives the entire branch a darkly unique and dramatic presentation.
Royal Purple leaves
Golden Spirit Details
Golden Spirit was added to the Willow Creek repertoire a few years ago. Golden Spirit acts similarly to the Royal Purple cultivar, but because it is lighter in color, they have had to make a few practical changes at the farm. Golden Spirit, with its fair complexion, can't take too much of the hot summer sun or its leaves will burn; to remedy that, they simply pick it earlier in the season, often finishing at the end of July/August.
These summer specialty branches are both available in 3-foot tall consumer bunches, and the farm also offers custom-cut "super bunches" of the Royal Purple, which are cut at a height of 6 feet.
For more information:
The Sun Valley Group
3160 Upper Bay Road
Arcata, CA 95521-9690
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-26 Designing bouquets for weddings forever an honor
- 2022-05-23 Chinese rose grower finishes steel guttered greenhouse expansion
- 2022-05-20 US: Farming in the heartland at Hilltop Greenhouse
- 2022-05-20 "It's good to keep challenging yourself alongside your current job"
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."