- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Our goal is to fully automate horticulture, thereby unburdening growers"
- US (WA): After 48 years of brightening area gardens, Roozen’s Nursery has closed
- "The sensors of 30MHz are indispensable items in every grower’s toolbox"
- Flower distributor plans to build facility in Port St. Lucie and create 210 jobs
- US (OH): Ready for Cultivate'22?
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Metrolina Greenhouses obtains MPS-A certification during Cultivate ‘17
Metrolina Greenhouses is a family-owned, wholesale plant and services company that started business in April 1972. Metrolina is the largest single-site heated greenhouse in the United States at 162 acres under roof. If you are familiar with the Charlotte region you could note that the size of Metrolina is comparable to 5 Concord Mills Malls which could fit inside the greenhouse! In addition Metrolina has approximately 15 acres of outdoor growing space and is still expanding. A second location in York S.C., mainly focused on production of perennials, has 175 acres of outdoor growing space.
Metrolina Greenhouses is one of the most automated greenhouses in the United States and has many internally designed machines from automatic plant transplanters to mechanical shipping belts. Metrolina employs 725 people year round, and 600 additional people in the spring and fall peaks. They ship to Big Box Retailers, Mass Merchandisers, Home Improvement Chain. During the peak season (March-June) Metrolina ships over 180 trailer loads of product a day.
After one (1) year MPS-A certified
Mark Yelanich, Manager Research & Development at Metrolina Greenhouses is proud of the fact that Metrolina Greenhouses, number six on the Top 100 Greenhouse Growers list in the US, successfully completed the initial MPS-ABC audit and will receive the MPS-A certificate at Cultivate 2017. Metrolina Greenhouses pays a lot of attention to / focuses on sustainability and innovation. For example, Yelanich mentions, they collect rainwater and recycle/re-use the collected rainwater for irrigation. Furthermore, wood burners are being used to generate energy. The MPS-A certificate is, for both customers and employees of Metrolina Greenhouses, proof that sustainability and innovation pay off.
Reliable data in a sustainable world
MPS-ABC is the environmental certification for a sustainable organization/company. By means of registering the usage/consumption of crop protection agents, fertilizers, energy, water and waste it becomes clear how well a company scores on the environmental score card. The MPS-ABC certificate is a unique worldwide company standard that is recognized and used on almost all continents. Besides a monitoring and management tool it is also a social responsibility in the produce chain and a marketing tool for demonstrable performing on sustainability.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-26 Designing bouquets for weddings forever an honor
- 2022-05-23 Chinese rose grower finishes steel guttered greenhouse expansion
- 2022-05-20 US: Farming in the heartland at Hilltop Greenhouse
- 2022-05-20 "It's good to keep challenging yourself alongside your current job"
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."