- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Australian native flowers provide a true seasonality and florists love this variety, variability in supply”
- "Stunning genetics under the tropical sun in Singapore"
- Greenhouse plastic boom blights Vietnam’s vegetable and flower basket
- Designed glasshouse unfolds like a flower in just four minutes
- Plantipp and Concept Plants scoop prizes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Summer flowers grower Johan Boere:
“I really enjoy working with the seasons”
"My father tried to convince me that I should do something else, but this is what I want. I enjoy the dynamics of cultivation and working with the seasons. When I turned 21, I conceived the idea of starting with summer flowers, and I took over my parent's plot of land. I really like what I'm doing. I am simply not interested in cows. But with summer flowers you can really be distinctive. Doing it yourself is what I really like.
Winter and summer
You know what is really great about this job? I am as free as a bird. Obviously, the busy period from May through to the end of September is really dynamic and then I work a lot. But from October it gets quieter, and I can spend time drinking coffee with my girl. Or I can take the kids to school by bicycle. Isn't that great? No boss breathing down my neck. In the winter I am especially occupied with cleaning the nursery and preparing planting material from the perennials. In the summer around 8 assistants from Eastern Europe come work at my nursery. They just turned up about 10 years ago."
Johan cultivates all different kinds of summer flowers. The main ones are Asterantia, Veronica and Phlox. Ninety percent of the sales comes through the auction clocks, the rest he arranges himself through direct sales to e.g. the retail sector. The demand for summer flowers continues to increase. The product is popular and hip.
Growing bigger with lots of varieties
The best aspect of summer flowers in Johan's view is that you are working with nature every day. He points to a plot that is buzzing with butterflies and bees. "Isn't that fantastic? A natural balance at the nursery. I really like growing bigger by marketing small amounts of different varieties. That is our business philosophy. It is better to have a wide-ranging assortment than lots and lots of one variety and not be distinctive."
Source: Royal FloraHolland
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-26 Designing bouquets for weddings forever an honor
- 2022-05-23 Chinese rose grower finishes steel guttered greenhouse expansion
- 2022-05-20 US: Farming in the heartland at Hilltop Greenhouse
- 2022-05-20 "It's good to keep challenging yourself alongside your current job"
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."