Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
Oxygenation techniques in hydroponic pelargonium
This study was carried out to investigate the viability of growing P. tomentosum in deep water culture (DWC) hydroponics and how best to aerate/oxygenate the nutrient solution to increase the chlorophyll content within leaves. The experiment was conducted over a period of 74 days, 16 different methods of oxygenation were applied to 9 replicates. The control had passive aeration; the treatments were made up of air-pumps, vortex oxygenators, and the application of hydrogen peroxide at various frequency intervals; these were combined with each other and run as separate oxygenation methods. The measurement of the chlorophyll content of plant leaves has been established to be an accurate way of establishing vigor, health, and levels of stress.
It was found that the combination of high-frequency application (every third day) of hydrogen peroxide, vortex oxygenation, and air-pump injection (both operational for 24 hours/day) which formed treatment 11 (APVHa), yielded the highest production of chlorophyll within all the replicates differing significantly (P ≤ 0.001) from the control and other treatments.
Access the full study at HortScience.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-01 Multilingual support for IPM and yield forecasting platform
- 2023-06-01 Plants can sense when something touches them
- 2023-06-01 Analysis of single plant cells provides insights into natural product biosynthesis
- 2023-06-01 US (FL): Researchers focus on vanilla as alternative crops for small growers
- 2023-06-01 How a mysterious protein plays a crucial role in plant growth
- 2023-05-25 "Growers apply shading later because of dark spring"
- 2023-05-25 "As soon as there is a crisis, there is more need to zoom in on data"
- 2023-05-24 Starting Rudbeckia ‘Sunbeckia’ production
- 2023-05-23 Solar cells that support greenhouse farming
- 2023-05-23 US: Michigan agriculture organizations support Farm Bill facilities investment
- 2023-05-19 Cropping Up: Ride the farming wave with Utah horticulturalist Sheridan Hansen
- 2023-05-18 Cultivation digitization: how can growers get started?
- 2023-05-18 "Growing demand for construction professionals in CEA"
- 2023-05-17 Pursuing sustainability in floriculture
- 2023-05-15 "Vertical solar panels under the gutter can provide significant savings in plastic greenhouses"
- 2023-05-11 Embracing change with new growing systems
- 2023-05-05 US (CA): Winery uses flowers instead of grapes
- 2023-05-05 Scientists unlock the secret to roses aroma
- 2023-05-04 The lost art of chrysanthemum cultivation
- 2023-05-03 Comprehensive assessment of varieties of garden roses in the conditions of the Udmurt Republic