Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
Roger Gerritzen, Dümmen Orange:
"The acceptance of private equity is increasing market-wide"
Oaklins spoke to Roger Gerritzen about Dümmen Orange’s acquisition strategy and company culture.
“Retail clients prefer to do business with partners that are able to deliver a broad portfolio with many product varieties. Furthermore, the ability to deliver large quantities with a predictable product quality and delivery time are nowadays critical pre-conditions for success in our industry. To stay ahead of competition, we actively create scalability and we invest heavily in innovation. The sustainability trend also requires huge commitment and investment throughout the horticulture value chain. With our current scale and dedication to sustainability, we are creating a huge competitive advantage compared to smaller players that can’t match our scale and efforts. Therefore, we actively participate in the current consolidation wave. Our pioneering attitude is important to achieve and keep that first-mover advantage. At the same time, we aim to remain attractive for sellers by being innovative, by constantly developing new quality control and breeding technologies, and offering them a global distribution platform for their crops.”
Another development affecting the horticultural market is the strong appetite from financial buyers. Financial and strategic buyers are paying consistently high premiums for larger deals. So creating scale by consolidating several smaller companies is a proven method for value creation.
Oaklins asked Roger what he thinks about private equity in the horticultural sector. “Many companies within the horticultural market are small-sized family businesses that consciously choose to remain small. Dümmen Orange was also a relative small company. However, in 2010 we decided to team up with private equity. This enabled us to accelerate growth, create scale and become active in over 17 countries. Our current private equity owner, BC Partners, supports us in continuing to make strategic acquisitions, investing in R&D, and implementing our quality and sustainability targets.”
“The acceptance of private equity is increasing market-wide and is nowadays seen as a suitable alternative to grow your business, bring in retail and logistical knowledge, and invest in new technologies.”
“For the companies we like to acquire, we offer solid financial backing and a sound track record of smoothly delivered transactions.”
For more information:
+31 20 416 1303
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-01 Picalla scratch campaign puts buyers in the spotlight
- 2023-06-01 Kenya: Lima Labs makes debut at IFTEX
- 2023-05-31 NZ: New people join HortNZ Board
- 2023-05-31 Stuppy celebrates 150th anniversary
- 2023-05-31 Kuehne+Nagel announces management changes in Middle East and Africa region
- 2023-05-30 "Since the merger, we’re focusing more on greenhouse segments"
- 2023-05-30 Eason Horticultural Resources adds Logistics Specialist John Ollis to its logistics team
- 2023-05-30 NL: Double screen installation at Van Daalen Cymbidium
- 2023-05-29 Dissolved oxygen platform launched
- 2023-05-26 GroupDC acquires Hawita
- 2023-05-26 Eric Labbate, founder of Climate Control Systems, retires after 38 years
- 2023-05-25 CAN (ON): Josh MacIntyre joins Royal Brinkman as Sales Manager
- 2023-05-25 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Foundation announces 2023 grant awards totaling over $240,000
- 2023-05-25 Green Simplicity joins GreenV
- 2023-05-25 Turkish cargo adds value to nation's exports
- 2023-05-24 From You Flowers and FTD announce merger
- 2023-05-24 Photo Report: Greenhouse Management Training Day, China:“ Knowledge, Awareness, Sharing“
- 2023-05-24 Marginpar and VBW launch collaboration
- 2023-05-23 Kenya: Murara Plants wins renewable Energy Award during EMA 2023
- 2023-05-23 Sollum Technologies appoints Michael Hanan for the US market