- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Australian native flowers provide a true seasonality and florists love this variety, variability in supply”
- "Stunning genetics under the tropical sun in Singapore"
- Greenhouse plastic boom blights Vietnam’s vegetable and flower basket
- Designed glasshouse unfolds like a flower in just four minutes
- Plantipp and Concept Plants scoop prizes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
ICL welcomes new UK growing media technical manager
With a PhD in block propagation of lettuce, Dr Smith set out on a technical career in horticulture that saw him manage ADAS experimental glasshouses at Stockbridge House and Rosewarne before specialising in the technical aspects of growing media. After eight years at Bord na Móna he joined ICL (then Scotts) in 1997 where he become a well respected figure in the UK growing media industry.
Highly qualified, Eleni Siasou joins ICL with an honours degree in Agricultural Technology, from Messolonghi in Greece. Since moving to the UK in 2005, she has gained an MSc and PhD from the University of Aberdeen with her thesis focusing on interactions among soil borne pathogens, mycorrhizal fungi and rhizobacteria. Dr Siasou has carried out post-doctoral work at the James Hutton Institute, Aberdeen University and more recently the University of the West of England, in Bristol.
“When Jim joined the company he brought with him a huge wealth of experience in a wide range of agricultural and horticultural areas,” says Stephen Squires, ICL business director for UK and Ireland. “He has been instrumental in the continuing development of our iconic Levington brand including the painstaking development and trials of peat reduced and peat free mixes. Always keeping abreast of the latest growing media trends, most recently he has been involved with the AHDB project CP138 ‘Transition to responsibly sourced growing media use within UK horticulture’ and in developing a web based database for handling all ICL’s growing media recipes.
“Having joined ICL in March, Eleni has worked closely with Jim these past few months and took over from him at the end of July. She has responsibility for growing media quality, trials and all technical aspects of ICL’s growing media portfolio - including R&D projects and the development of novel growing media for professional horticulture.
“We welcome Eleni and thank Jim for the enormous contribution he has made over the years to the Levington brand and wish him a long and happy retirement.”
For more information:
Epsilon House, West Road, Ipswich.
T: +44 (0)1473 237100
F: +44 (0)1473 237150
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-07-01 New recruitment agency Your Link kicks off
- 2022-07-01 Plantipp and Concept Plants scoop prizes
- 2022-07-01 Urban Crop Solutions and Mayer Planting Systems join forces
- 2022-07-01 Ecoation to partner with Mexican University
- 2022-07-01 Van Beest Groothandel takes over Trans-Fleur
- 2022-07-01 CAG applauds U.S. House of Representatives Introduction of the "Don Young American Grown Act"
- 2022-06-30 Marginpar has new headquarters and a whole new IT system
- 2022-06-30 Import Promotion Desk (IPD) welcomes Kenya as a new partner country
- 2022-06-30 Marketing material for American Grown Flowers Month 2022
- 2022-06-30 Ewout Valstar uses growing experience in new job: "Looking for opportunities to save energy"
- 2022-06-30 Groenland and L&M Groep join forces to become One Flora Group
- 2022-06-30 Bioline Agroscience is launching the first rhizobacterial-based biostimulant
- 2022-06-29 Kisumu horticulture exports to UK resume after three-month break
- 2022-06-29 "The sensors of 30MHz are indispensable items in every grower’s toolbox"
- 2022-06-29 Blue Diamond relaunches charity rose Queen Bee
- 2022-06-29 S. Korean smart farm technology creates cooling greenhouses in Vietnam
- 2022-06-29 "Our goal is to fully automate horticulture, thereby unburdening growers"
- 2022-06-28 Dispute between horti suppliers ends with no patent infringement
- 2022-06-28 Third Trophée d'Or 2022 for Floréac
- 2022-06-28 Touchstone wins first place in Lily League 2022