Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
ICL welcomes new UK growing media technical manager
With a PhD in block propagation of lettuce, Dr Smith set out on a technical career in horticulture that saw him manage ADAS experimental glasshouses at Stockbridge House and Rosewarne before specialising in the technical aspects of growing media. After eight years at Bord na Móna he joined ICL (then Scotts) in 1997 where he become a well respected figure in the UK growing media industry.
Highly qualified, Eleni Siasou joins ICL with an honours degree in Agricultural Technology, from Messolonghi in Greece. Since moving to the UK in 2005, she has gained an MSc and PhD from the University of Aberdeen with her thesis focusing on interactions among soil borne pathogens, mycorrhizal fungi and rhizobacteria. Dr Siasou has carried out post-doctoral work at the James Hutton Institute, Aberdeen University and more recently the University of the West of England, in Bristol.
“When Jim joined the company he brought with him a huge wealth of experience in a wide range of agricultural and horticultural areas,” says Stephen Squires, ICL business director for UK and Ireland. “He has been instrumental in the continuing development of our iconic Levington brand including the painstaking development and trials of peat reduced and peat free mixes. Always keeping abreast of the latest growing media trends, most recently he has been involved with the AHDB project CP138 ‘Transition to responsibly sourced growing media use within UK horticulture’ and in developing a web based database for handling all ICL’s growing media recipes.
“Having joined ICL in March, Eleni has worked closely with Jim these past few months and took over from him at the end of July. She has responsibility for growing media quality, trials and all technical aspects of ICL’s growing media portfolio - including R&D projects and the development of novel growing media for professional horticulture.
“We welcome Eleni and thank Jim for the enormous contribution he has made over the years to the Levington brand and wish him a long and happy retirement.”
For more information:
Epsilon House, West Road, Ipswich.
T: +44 (0)1473 237100
F: +44 (0)1473 237150
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-01 Picalla scratch campaign puts buyers in the spotlight
- 2023-06-01 Kenya: Lima Labs makes debut at IFTEX
- 2023-05-31 NZ: New people join HortNZ Board
- 2023-05-31 Stuppy celebrates 150th anniversary
- 2023-05-31 Kuehne+Nagel announces management changes in Middle East and Africa region
- 2023-05-30 "Since the merger, we’re focusing more on greenhouse segments"
- 2023-05-30 Eason Horticultural Resources adds Logistics Specialist John Ollis to its logistics team
- 2023-05-30 NL: Double screen installation at Van Daalen Cymbidium
- 2023-05-29 Dissolved oxygen platform launched
- 2023-05-26 GroupDC acquires Hawita
- 2023-05-26 Eric Labbate, founder of Climate Control Systems, retires after 38 years
- 2023-05-25 CAN (ON): Josh MacIntyre joins Royal Brinkman as Sales Manager
- 2023-05-25 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Foundation announces 2023 grant awards totaling over $240,000
- 2023-05-25 Green Simplicity joins GreenV
- 2023-05-25 Turkish cargo adds value to nation's exports
- 2023-05-24 From You Flowers and FTD announce merger
- 2023-05-24 Photo Report: Greenhouse Management Training Day, China:“ Knowledge, Awareness, Sharing“
- 2023-05-24 Marginpar and VBW launch collaboration
- 2023-05-23 Kenya: Murara Plants wins renewable Energy Award during EMA 2023
- 2023-05-23 Sollum Technologies appoints Michael Hanan for the US market