- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Senior Grower
Top 5 - yesterday
- “With our placement in Türkiye, we have easy access to the rest of the world”
- Dutch growers lose faith
- Australia: Ball Mother-stock House meets growing demands
- "When buying our products, not only the rose production will be supported, also the well-being of rescued wildlife"
- "New substrate fiber fits into the future of cultivation"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
NRGene delivers major breakthrough in sunflower genome
“The depth and breadth of this analysis significantly accelerates our research,” said Loren Rieseberg, PhD, Killam Professor at the University of British Columbia. “We’ll be using the data to identify and order the genetic changes responsible for the origin of species and enhance the ability to breed hardier varieties.”
Sariel Hubner, PhD, of the Department of Biotechnology at Tel-Hai College and the head of the plant genomics laboratory at MIGAL Galilee Research Institute is using the data to characterize the diversity across the sunflower germplasm and further improve other sunflower genome assemblies.
“My specialty is genomic analysis across species,” said Dr. Hubner. “NRGene’s analysis enables us to move from one-genome-per-crop to a multiple genomes concept, allowing us to unravel true genomic diversity of key crop species.”
Collaboratively, they are using genomics and bioinformatics to study the genetics of adaptation and domestication, identifying the genetic changes that underlie the formation of new varieties and the genotype-phenotype-environment interaction.
NRGene’s DeNovoMAGIC analyzed raw data from Illumina reads to deliver an assembled genome size of 3.22 Gbp, built of scaffolds with an N50 of ~13.5 Mbp, less than 1% unfilled gaps, and BUSCO results of 91% indicating that the genome is 90% complete.
“NRGene reduced the sunflower assembly process to less than a month,” said NRGene CEO Gil Ronen. “With the speed and accuracy of DeNovoMAGIC as a given, sunflower researchers can now shift their focus from genome construction to genome analysis.”
The scientists and NRGene will be continuing their collaboration as part of the sunflower pangenome project, which will enable further research in comparing multiple varieties to breed more efficient plants for oil, food, and other potential applications.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-02 Takii unveils new seed production location in Karacabey, Turkey
- 2023-05-31 HilverdaFlorist launches new catalog for 2024
- 2023-05-30 Six candidates competing for FleuroStar
- 2023-05-30 India: Commercial tissue culture facility inaugurated at Punjab Ag University
- 2023-05-26 Space seeds are sprouting
- 2023-05-23 US: Proven Winners ColorChoice roses continue to earn top marks in trials
- 2023-05-23 “Growers no longer have to wait to see what a plant will do”
- 2023-05-15 "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- 2023-05-11 "We have earned our 75+ years of experience through the same values we still have today"
- 2023-05-09 Syngenta appoints new business manager for expanding Ornamentals team
- 2023-05-09 Efforts to strengthen the system for breeders rights protection in Mexico
- 2023-05-08 MNP / Suntory launches (how it's made) explanation video
- 2023-05-05 Sakata releases new Dania and Danique series
- 2023-05-03 Revisit the California Spring Trials displays of Ball Horticultural Company with virtual tour
- 2023-05-02 Proven Winners announces 2024 new varieties
- 2023-05-02 Dutch Spring Trials are on
- 2023-05-01 Interplant Roses organizes Rose Inspiration Days
- 2023-04-28 Austrian Parliament amends seed patent law
- 2023-04-27 "New location and new concept"
- 2023-04-25 Arun Sharma joins Benary as Global Head of Breeding