Top 5 - yesterday
- CAN (SK): “The flowers take a long time to start growing but it is worth it because they are so beautiful”
- Plants remove cancer causing toxins from air
- Use of prohydrojasmon to suppress Frankliniella occidentalis and tomato spotted wilt virus in chrysanthemums
- Kuehne+Nagel announces management changes in Middle East and Africa region
- UK: Award-winning Chelsea Flower Show garden to go on display in Hampshire
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
Magenta greenhouse glass generates electricity, doesn't bug plants
The greenhouses utilize what's known as Wavelength-Selective Photovoltaic Systems (WSPVs). This technology reportedly "generates electricity more efficiently and at less cost than traditional photovoltaic systems."
Embedded in the roof panel glass is a bright magenta luminescent dye. It absorbs blue and green wavelengths of light, and transfers its energy to narrow photovoltaic strips. It is these strips which produce the electricity. That electricity can be used to power things in the greenhouse such as fans, heaters and watering systems – this could allow the greenhouses to run off-grid, and not rely on fossil fuels.
Read more at New Atlas (Ben Coxworth)
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-05-30 Two new cover additives to balance the temperature between night and day
- 2023-05-30 US (PA): Fire destroys greenhouse in Nippenose
- 2023-05-29 UK: Take a peek in a glasshouse
- 2023-05-24 "Power lies in the marriage between 'ag' and 'tech'"
- 2023-05-24 US (AK): Summer flowers are in full bloom for a project dating back 30 years
- 2023-05-15 US (MA): Araujo Farms in Dighton opens brand new greenhouses to showcase huge array of plants
- 2023-05-11 US (PA): Greenhouse in Lawrence County feeling impact of train derailment, chemical release
- 2023-05-10 UK: Herefordshire nursery plans 70 more acres of pot plants
- 2023-05-10 Turkey: Bilecik municipality fulfills 90% of its flower consumption from its own greenhouses
- 2023-05-09 New addition to LaFarm expands education and farming possibilities
- 2023-05-09 Turkey: 45 hectare flower greenhouse is set up in Erbaa, Tokat with 12.5 million USD investment.
- 2023-05-08 Carnation planting season in Isparta under way for the summer harvest
- 2023-05-08 90% of the ranunculus grown in Antalya exported to Europe
- 2023-05-08 Inside a Dutch tulip farm
- 2023-05-08 Japan: Tohoku growers seek to export more flowers overseas
- 2023-05-05 New Instagram series sheds light on horticulture in Ontario’s ‘sun parlour’
- 2023-05-03 Leaflet on LED and potential health risks
- 2023-04-28 “One of our best Valentines so far”
- 2023-04-26 US (WI): Dane County-based educational greenhouse debuts
- 2023-04-26 US (MI): Larkin Township greenhouse to reopen as Rooted by Keits