- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Australian native flowers provide a true seasonality and florists love this variety, variability in supply”
- "Stunning genetics under the tropical sun in Singapore"
- Greenhouse plastic boom blights Vietnam’s vegetable and flower basket
- Designed glasshouse unfolds like a flower in just four minutes
- Plantipp and Concept Plants scoop prizes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Extra time and space leads to beautiful, large and sturdy flowers"
Gerd Berghs currently has 22 varieties boasting in his greenhouse in Straelen, Germany. “We’ve planted our bushes wider apart giving them more room to develop. The result are larger and stronger blooms compared to gerberas from other nurseries.” The flowers do not only look stunning in bouquets, they also make a beautiful focal flower in many other uses.
The world nowadays is changing fast and online sales is becoming more and more important. Gerd: “I want to know which of my varieties suit the current demands from florists. I’m quite familiar with the German market, however my knowledge ends at the border. FleuraMetz is very supportive and I’m truly thankful for our relationship. I can focus on my products, while Roel and Theo look for the best markets.”
Partners in crime
Roel and Theo are buyers at FleuraMetz. Roel Haenen operates from Germany, Theo de Lange from the Netherlands. Roel: “This Preferred Supplier grows the most beautiful gerberas. Most growers are located around the Dutch auctions, Gerd is the exception to the rule.” The phrase ‘Deutsche Gärtnerware’ printed on his wrapping is a guarantee for German grown products. Roel: “It seems that German customers have an increasing preference for products from authentic, native growers.”
The direct contact amongst Theo in the Netherlands, Local Hero Gerd and Roel means that the latter is able to act quick when needed. “Mostly to guarantee the freshness of the flowers.” Roel and Theo manage the sales flow, safe-guard the quality of the products and discuss points of improvement with Gerd. Theo: “We have had a few conversations about the presentation. The cardboard, Diamond packaging (DMD), which we currently use to pack the flowers in prevents the heavy blooms from breaking for example.”
No light deprivation system
Gerd: ”I value these conversations, it’s what makes our relationship special. There is direct, personal contact between us.” What strikes the most about this Preferred Supplier? He follows nature’s course. Gerd: “We don’t darken the greenhouses, nature determines the level of light we receive. The result are strong, natural flowers.” His production method has made him one of the Local Heroes in the German flower industry. Roel: “It is an important quality label, German customers are very critical when it comes to their flowers.” Now every FleuraMetz customer can discover the many different varieties of Gerd Berghs.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Teen farmer selected as USDA greenhouse grant winner
- 2022-06-24 US: "Demand in 2022 has been more regional, more weather dependent than in 2020 and 2021"
- 2022-06-23 Local experts on the art of flower farming
- 2022-06-21 Group of managers participating in Mastercourse in the Netherlands
- 2022-06-16 Henda Flowers starts construction of new greenhouse
- 2022-06-08 New businesses promote arts, crafts, photography, and flowers
- 2022-06-07 Kenya celebrates its flower growing industry at IFTEX
- 2022-06-02 This man covered his 3-storey house In Uttar Pradesh with 10,000 plants
- 2022-06-01 Cebu farm showcases collection of rare flowering plants and ornamentals
- 2022-05-31 Hong Kong: Edible flowers sold for 50% less than imported ones
- 2022-05-26 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-26 Designing bouquets for weddings forever an honor
- 2022-05-23 Chinese rose grower finishes steel guttered greenhouse expansion
- 2022-05-20 US: Farming in the heartland at Hilltop Greenhouse
- 2022-05-20 "It's good to keep challenging yourself alongside your current job"
- 2022-05-19 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-12 "Ten years later, the concept is more relevant than ever"
- 2022-05-11 Alberta Greenhouse Drive map: a map with nearly 200 family-owned greenhouses
- 2022-05-05 Grandiflora and Royal Brinkman celebrate 40 year partnership in Australia
- 2022-05-05 "I have really found my passion in flowers."