- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
- Packaging Supervisor
Top 5 -yesterday
- 30% more yield in gerbera thanks to adding Nano fertilizer
- Amazon seeks to convert Great Falls nursery into a greenhouse
- Dispute between horti suppliers ends with no patent infringement
- Black Sheep Flower Farm: Flowers, glamping, and community sanctuary all in one
- Touchstone wins first place in Lily League 2022
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Irrigation water acidification to neutralize alkalinity
To correct high levels of LA in irrigation water, growers can inject acid into their irrigation system to neutralize alkalinity. Therefore, a 52-week study was conducted using irrigation water, substrate, and plants from a commercial nursery in Florida that has a history of poor water quality and plant production problems related to high alkalinity irrigation water. The objectives of the study were to assess substrate pH, electrical conductivity (EC), and nutrients, and plant nutrition and growth for thyrallis (Galphimia gracilis Bartl.) to irrigation water acidification.
Treatments consisted of irrigation water acidified with sulfuric acid (H2SO4) to neutralize 0% (control), 40%, or 80% of calcium carbonates (CaCO3) yielding a CaCO3 (meq·L−1)/pH levels of 5 [High Alkalinity (H-A)]/7.37, 3 [Medium Alkalinity (M-A)]//6.37, and 1 [Low Alkalinity (L-A)]//4.79, respectively. Substrate analysis by the 1:2 dilution method at the end of the study was significant (P < 0.05) for pH 6.2, 5.2, and 4.7 for the H-A, M-A, and L-A treatments, respectively, and for nutrients Ca, Mn, and Zn. Foliar nutrient levels were statistically significant (P < 0.05) for alkalinity treatment for Fe, K, Mn, P, and Zn. Alkalinity treatment was significant (P < 0.05) for growth, leaf greenness (by SPAD), and quality (by survey) with the M-A treatment producing more biomass, having greener leaves, and the highest aesthetic quality value than the H-A or L-A treatments. A qualitative survey of root systems at harvest showed that the M-A and L-A treatment root systems were greater than the H-A treatment based on visual side-wall root development.
These data demonstrate that irrigation water acidification does alter substrate pH and nutrients and plant tissue nutrient levels and growth over a long-term production cycle typical for nursery crops.
Access the full study at HortScience.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Two Utah farms produce kitchen staples with less water
- 2022-06-28 Effects of antibiotics on waterhyacint's performance and physiology
- 2022-06-24 New setup of Novelty Contest at Plantarium|Groen-Direkt
- 2022-06-20 Perham High School greenhouse is back on-site and in full bloom
- 2022-06-14 Greenhouse sensors for improved climate control
- 2022-06-13 New insect netting system expands ventilation capacity
- 2022-06-13 "Growers can save up to 45% in energy compared with previous models"
- 2022-06-10 Improving the growing with LED
- 2022-06-08 Identification of new stock Matthiola incana
- 2022-06-08 Floriculture helps Indian farms increase income
- 2022-06-08 Grow tent kits with LED lighting help us grow flowers and food at home
- 2022-06-06 India: Retired banker has 1,000 plants of 400 varieties in his house
- 2022-06-03 Development and characterization of 20 genomic SSR markers of Weigela
- 2022-06-03 Automated drones could scare birds off fields
- 2022-06-02 "We have a clear mission: lighting the way to a better tomorrow"
- 2022-06-02 Longtime Long Island orchid grower receives coveted conditional cannabis license
- 2022-06-02 Analysis on the biological basis of stamen abortion during the second flowering of Magnolia × soulangeana ‘Changchun’
- 2022-06-01 The biochemical base of flower color in Bidens ferulifolia
- 2022-06-01 India: protected cultivation of Lilium cut flower in the non traditional regions
- 2022-06-01 India: Chakkittappara farmers to take up medicinal plant cultivation on about 608,000 sq meters