- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Senior Grower
Top 5 - yesterday
- “With our placement in Türkiye, we have easy access to the rest of the world”
- Dutch growers lose faith
- Australia: Ball Mother-stock House meets growing demands
- "When buying our products, not only the rose production will be supported, also the well-being of rescued wildlife"
- "New substrate fiber fits into the future of cultivation"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Hasfarm’s network expands in Indonesia, partnering with Bromelia Flowers and Tropika
- "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- Royal Flowers merges with The Elite Group
- North America: “Unbridled optimism for Mother’s Day tempered by reality”
- “A new sales channel for flower companies without any labor or high fixed costs”
EPO-CPVO conference in Brussels
"Supporting innovation in the plant sector with IP rights"
In their opening statements, high-level representatives of the EPO and the CPVO took stock of the first two years of co-operation. According to Margot Fröhlinger, EPO Principal Director for the Unitary Patent, European and International Legal Affairs, “the co-operation promotes information and transparency in the area of plant innovation. The CPVO and the EPO are jointly committed to ensuring that both breeders and industry maintain their confidence in the validity and quality of patents and plant breeders’ rights,” she said.
Martin Ekvad, CPVO President, said: “Basing our co-operation on an Administrative Arrangement will also in future contribute to a better understanding between our institutions on a technical and legal level. This helps us in turn to better inform industry and the public on the implementation of two mutually supportive IP systems.”
After both offices explained their roles and practice, three expert panels moderated by Anselm Kamperman Sanders, Professor of IP Law at Maastricht University, explored some of the key themes surrounding plant innovation. Speakers outlined how the EPO responded to the Commission Notice C/2016/6997 in relation to essentially biological breeding methods by proposing amendments of Rules 27(b) and 28 of the European Patent Convention to our Administrative Council earlier this year, and how these rules are now applied in the Office’s patenting practice.
Enhancing the transparency of IP rights was a further key topic of the conference, with speakers explaining how third parties, including the general public, can follow all stages of both the patent and PVR granting processes. Patent applications and granted patents are mandatorily published, which signifies that the teachings set out in these documents are freely accessible to the public, for instance in the EPO’s patent database Espacenet. PVR documents are publicly available from the CPVO, either directly from the office’s website or on request. Industry initiatives such as the Patent Information and Transparency Online (PINTO) database, which provides a link between a plant variety and a patent or patent application, aim to enhance transparency further.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-02 Takii unveils new seed production location in Karacabey, Turkey
- 2023-05-31 HilverdaFlorist launches new catalog for 2024
- 2023-05-30 Six candidates competing for FleuroStar
- 2023-05-30 India: Commercial tissue culture facility inaugurated at Punjab Ag University
- 2023-05-26 Space seeds are sprouting
- 2023-05-23 US: Proven Winners ColorChoice roses continue to earn top marks in trials
- 2023-05-23 “Growers no longer have to wait to see what a plant will do”
- 2023-05-15 "Breeders need to study the Chinese market carefully before introducing a variety"
- 2023-05-11 "We have earned our 75+ years of experience through the same values we still have today"
- 2023-05-09 Syngenta appoints new business manager for expanding Ornamentals team
- 2023-05-09 Efforts to strengthen the system for breeders rights protection in Mexico
- 2023-05-08 MNP / Suntory launches (how it's made) explanation video
- 2023-05-05 Sakata releases new Dania and Danique series
- 2023-05-03 Revisit the California Spring Trials displays of Ball Horticultural Company with virtual tour
- 2023-05-02 Proven Winners announces 2024 new varieties
- 2023-05-02 Dutch Spring Trials are on
- 2023-05-01 Interplant Roses organizes Rose Inspiration Days
- 2023-04-28 Austrian Parliament amends seed patent law
- 2023-04-27 "New location and new concept"
- 2023-04-25 Arun Sharma joins Benary as Global Head of Breeding